FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 624661 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3765 on: Apr 13, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I have to imagine they get eaten by most things that swim!  I really need to get back into trying.  I miss having patterns you cant buy in the shops...also noticed for whatever reason I have an extreme lack of beadless patterns.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3766 on: Apr 13, 2020, 08:49 AM »
I can get just as lost at the fly bench as in the wood shop or on the stream. I don't usually hit streams until May. My legs don't like that cold, cold water any more.

Anyway, it's a good way to pass the time before the outside stuff like gardening, mowing and landscaping starts.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigal409

« Reply #3767 on: Apr 13, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Still working on the crane fly pattern.

It's getting there.

Rg
Hey RG. If you don't mind me asking what is that leg material that your using? I've got a lot of silly leg material but it isn't as stiff as what you have there.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3768 on: Apr 13, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Two fibers each from a turkey tail. You can use pheasant tail fibers as well. I ding that turkey fibers are longer and easier to knot with my big hands.

Just eating some lunch and heading up to the bench in a bit. I'll take some pics of tying them up.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #3769 on: Apr 13, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Yep mowed the front lawn this w.e., just got done with some crappy jigs, now drying. Easy stuff, used up some prepainted jigs. Did a variety of colors and materials. Did about 25, now lets see if the weather will allow for some fishing??
Internet heros give it a rest!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3770 on: Apr 13, 2020, 02:11 PM »
So...knotted legs from turkey tail fibers.

2-3 fibers for a small leg. Mor for a heavier leg

Loop around a tweezer, grab the tag end and pull through to form a knot

Best to make up a bunch and have them on hand.

Still playing around with this pattern. Some research showed me that they have fairly big eyes , a shiny thorax case that's pretty large in comparison to its body.

It's getting there.

Rg

gotagetm

« Reply #3771 on: Apr 13, 2020, 03:29 PM »
That's crazy cool rg!

bigal409

« Reply #3772 on: Apr 13, 2020, 03:36 PM »
That's really cool Rg. I would have never thought of doing that with those turkey fibers. I practiced knotting some up.
Pretty easy after doing a few. Thanks for the info. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3773 on: Apr 13, 2020, 04:05 PM »
So thats what those over grown mosquitoes are..     ;D ;D
 Looks pretty realistic Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3774 on: Apr 13, 2020, 04:48 PM »
So thats what those over grown mosquitoes are..     ;D ;D
 Looks pretty realistic Bob..

It's getting there. I'm still playing around with it to find a pattern to tie.

Never used Oak Leaf Bugs Dom? They're the go to killer perch bait on the fingerlakes.

Crane Fly Larvae.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3775 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Nope, tried looking for them by my stream but never found any..  I will stick with plastics and worms.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #3776 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Very realistic  RG, nice work. Would scare my wife if I left it on the kitchen table. 

oatkasut

« Reply #3777 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Oakleaf bugs were the bait  on Conesus  back in the day for perch!Need to get in small streams and turn over leaves to find them.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3778 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:21 PM »
I've been working towards that myself. The only true test. Will my Bride panic when she sees it on the curtain in the living room.😆😆

She's a tough sell though. She's put up with me for 48 years now. Hard to fool by now. But then, her eyesight isn't what it used to be........

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3779 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Oakleaf bugs were the bait  on Conesus  back in the day for perch!Need to get in small streams and turn over leaves to find them.

The streams that produced Bugs were prized locations. A guy could get hurt invading the wrong area. I had a few that I had access to.  Cost me some fish in return. Not a bad deal.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.