MyFishFinder Forum

The Fisherman's Wharf => Clean-em Cook-em Eat-em => Topic started by: fishercat on May 08, 2020, 02:49 PM

Title: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: fishercat on May 08, 2020, 02:49 PM
 Just a heads up for you folks  that consume morel mushrooms.
 Several weeks ago I had my first batch of morel mushrooms. On the same night I also had three or four beers. Within about three hours severe nausea and diarrhea.
 Sidenote I have consumed morals in the past with no problems.

 Well the same thing happened last night. Consumed a very small amount of moral mushrooms. And two or three beers. Three hours later same thing.

Look up on the Internet and find the information provided below.

 
 

Morel mushrooms are sought after for their earthy taste and meaty texture. But like many varieties of mushroom, morels can cause allergic reactions or stomach upset for some people, especially if the mushrooms are undercooked or eaten raw [sources: Cascio and Johnson, MDCH]. Even those who are normally able to enjoy morels without any ill effects may find that consuming them with alcohol causes nausea or vomiting. Stranger still, a trouble-free experience with morels and alcohol in the past doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have an adverse reaction in the future.
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: Perch-Pirate on May 08, 2020, 03:30 PM
Wow! That is weird! Never heard that before. I canít attest that it never happens with white button mushrooms..good to know if I ever can find any Morels!
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: taxid on May 08, 2020, 04:38 PM
So alcohol and fungus don't mix? Ya learn something new every day.

I do know a guy that loved morels. One day he ate so many he got sick. To this day he can no longer eat them.
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: seamonkey84 on May 08, 2020, 06:18 PM
Also the less popular inky beard, can be toxic when consumed with alcohol in the system, any alcohol within 3 days even.
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: fishinator on May 08, 2020, 07:43 PM
So alcohol and fungus don't mix? Ya learn something new every day.

I do know a guy that loved morels. One day he ate so many he got sick. To this day he can no longer eat them.
I know someone that did the same. Even eats one and he gets sick now.
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: rebelss on May 08, 2020, 08:09 PM
I only consume the elusive ITC m'room, just to be safe. (In the can)  :rotflol:
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: taxid on May 08, 2020, 08:53 PM
So you've never tried morels? Oh man fried in butter they are fantastic!
Title: Re: Morel mushrooms and alcohol beware
Post by: rebelss on May 09, 2020, 08:33 AM
LOL   Yes, I've had them, and I agree. Just too chicken to go pick my own....don't trust myself. I'd worry they weren't true morels...