FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Choice of Line???  (Read 5454 times)

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
Choice of Line???
« on: Mar 22, 2004, 12:29 PM »
So what kind of line does everyone prefer, I need some new 6 and 8lb test I was thinkin of Spider Wire, but they also have a bunch of different kinds so what do you prefer???

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
Re: Choice of Line???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I use Trilene XT, mostly 6lb test both for trolling and live bait. It's a little stiffer than some but pretty strong.

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:55 PM »
On my light action spinning rods I prefer Berkley Trilene XL in 6 lb test. On my medium action for pike, musky, etc. I like the Power Pro in 20 lb test (6 lb diameter).
Those who are brave are free ..       

jyoung

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:41 PM »
P_LINE, This stuff is incredible, I've used it in 6lb,8lb and 10lb
Jeff
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Riverjet

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Stern Extra Strength. All you need.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:15 PM »
Anybody have a preference on single or braided lines?

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:11 PM »
I use trilene XL 2-4 pound for trout, For muskie i use 40 - 80 pound  power pro and cortland muskie master that stuff lasts forever and if it starts to wear i just reverse it on the spool.For icefishing its 2 pound trilene XL on the jigging pole and for pike or muskie through the ice its 60 pound jinkia mono leader i think thats the spelling????? ive yet to have a pike or muskie bite me off..... it might get frayed , but i just retie it.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:24 PM »
I use Trilene XL in 2 and 4 pound test for trout and river fishing and 6 and 8 pound for bass in lakes. I'll be using the same rods for muskies as I do for just about everything in saltwater (fluke, weakfish, big choppers, stripers, everything) which have 15 and 20 pound power pro on them.

For ice fishing I use 20 pound ice line.

I'm in it for the fihght, would rather hook into a 30 pound fish on 15 pound test and fight it for an hour than use 60 pound test and land it in 2 minutes. Anyone can land a 30 pound fish on 60 or 80 pound test, but it takes a truly skillful angler to land that same fish on 10 or 15 pound test.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

vintek

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Musky fishing, I prefer 60# or 80# Power Pro. I have used Spiderwire in these pound tests, and to me, Spiderwire frays more easily than Power Pro. I found if I go with a braided line 25# or 30#, I would get more backlashes ( and bad ones too) with the heavier musky baits. I tried mono for musky fishing for a couple of seasons, and the stretch property of mono didn't allow for the heavy hooksets required to get those big hooks in a musky's jaw. For bass, walleye and trout, I use Trilene XT; 2# to 6# for trout, 8 # to 10# for walleye, 6# to 8# for smallies, 8# to 10# for largemouth. I tried braided for a couple of seasons with trout and bass, but I felt the number of strikes went down sharply. The unfortunate thing is that I love using braided for trout and bass. With the no stretch property of braided my percentage of hookups once I got a strike went up. When you set the hook with braided, you really move the fish, even when your bait/lure is far out. Stren is equally as good as Trilene. I feel that it is a personal preferance. I also found that I got more break offs with the newer low stretch monos. I feel they are too brittle. An important thing to remember, no matter what type of line you use, is to check your line, cut off frayed line and retie. After every 1 or 2 fish, I cut at 6 inches of line off and retie, even if I cannot feel or see any fraying. Don't be cheap or lazy about it; because that will cost you fish in the boat. Another thing, make sure you set your drag properly. Too loose of a drag will cost you fish because you are losing the power behind the hookset. Too tight of a drag could result in over straining the line and causing it to break. I hate losing fish to broken line.

Vinnie

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:07 PM »
I use Trilene XL in 2 and 4 pound test for trout and river fishing and 6 and 8 pound for bass in lakes. I'll be using the same rods for muskies as I do for just about everything in saltwater (fluke, weakfish, big choppers, stripers, everything) which have 15 and 20 pound power pro on them.

For ice fishing I use 20 pound ice line.

I'm in it for the fihght, would rather hook into a 30 pound fish on 15 pound test and fight it for an hour than use 60 pound test and land it in 2 minutes. Anyone can land a 30 pound fish on 60 or 80 pound test, but it takes a truly skillful angler to land that same fish on 10 or 15 pound test.
i I think that 15-20 lb. is  to thin for muskie like vintek said  major  major birds nest. A friend used it and took it off  on the boat you can land any muskie on 15-20 lb. But that diameter is way to thin .The braided is better for hooksets and the 60-80 diameter is better on the reel as far as tangles go I like lite line to, but for muskie you need the diameter...

Cheslers

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Freshwater I use and love Trilene XL depending on what im fishing for and the structure will determine what strength.

For the surf, fishing for stripers and blues, i have a couple reels spooled with 30lb strength (8lb diameter) Power Pro. Casts great and lasts forever.

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2004, 06:11 PM »
Well I for my bait poll mostly going for bass I use 8lb test, but I use the same poll for trout and jigging (crappies/perch) and also on my bass lures so I keep 6lb on that.  To high of lb test for trout or to light for bass???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.