FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Beware the giant hogweed  (Read 6434 times)

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
Beware the giant hogweed
« on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:45 AM »
You may encounter this plant while walking along a stream or river.  DO NOT TOUCH it!!  My wife had HUGE PAINFUL blisters on her arms. legs and feet from taking a little walk to the creek by our house.

http://www.massnrc.org/pests/pestFAQsheets/hogweed.html

If you want more info: Google search Giant hogweed.

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
Re: Beware the giant hogweed
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:48 AM »
thats good to know but ive never seen it here in western new york
OR      [IMG]

bwalleye

esox slayer

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:51 AM »
I've never seen this stuff up this way.....did your wife get it from someplace local to you??

Not very pleasant symptoms from the sounds of it...hope she's ok....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Its there. 

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0717J44UCMN_news.shtml
thats very interesting n scary at the same time i work outside n if you get it they tell you to stay out of the sun for 1 year how are you suposed to do that , but i will keep my eyes out for that plant in the future thanks
OR      [IMG]

bwalleye

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I've never seen this stuff up this way.....did your wife get it from someplace local to you??

Not very pleasant symptoms from the sounds of it...hope she's ok....Esox

Thanks Esox, she is ok but still has some scars on her legs and feet.  She got it along Ninemile creek (Oneida) just a short walk from our home. 

The real scary thing about this plant is that it really creams kids.  The stem of the plant is hollow and kids pick this stuff and use it as a peashooter or pretend telescope.  According to some reports, people have gone blind from this invasive pest.

Its also related the wild parsnip.  Not as toxic but can still give some nasty burns.  The wild parsnip looks alot like Queen Ann's lace.   all in the same family.....wild carrot

http://rochesterenvironment.com/invasive.htm

http://www.vermontagriculture.com/CAPS/invasive/otherpests/gh.htm

esox slayer

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2006, 09:30 AM »
I read both of the first 2 links you posted...the stuff is nasty sounding and the info you on kids using the stalks as peashooters....hopefully they can get the stuff under control and eliminate it or at least contain it.....
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

Fishingking

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Wow that stuff is nasty looking ive seen something that looks like it. This stuff Ive seen grows on the side of road s and reaches maybe 6 ft in height. :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:09 AM »
If anyone thinks they haven't seen it, then they haven't been looking.  The stuff is EVERYWHERE!!  When I first read about then, a few minutes later I looked around my house for some, and found two plants growing right next to the house!  Since then I have found the stuff pretty much everywhere I have looked.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Sorry to hear about your wife, bwalleye.  I hope the pain has subsided.  In the interest of warning our midwestern fishers, I should mention wild parsnip.  It works in the same way.  Once you get the sap on you, sunlight can cause very painful blistering and burning.  I still sport the scars from an encounter almost 15 years ago.  It's a nasty non-native from Europe that grows in full sun.  It looks similar to a yellow Queen Ann's Lace or Yarrow.  If you stumble into some, get home and shower.  Then stay out of the sun for a day or two.  I can still feel the burn! :cursing: :cursing:

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

slipbob

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:03 PM »
That weed is bad news >:(  It's killer.  :P

bwalleye

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:34 PM »
My wife's encounter was last year.

bwalleye

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2006, 08:42 AM »
Here is a site for wild parsnip.

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

Trying to watch out for my fellow fisherpersons.  These weeds can ruin your whole summer.

OTIS

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Glad to hear you're wife is doing well after her encounter with that stuff.  Big Red is correct, that stuff is everywhere.  I see it constantly along the road sides from Utica to Syracuse, and Camden to Earlville.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I have gotten nailed by that stuff, I actually still have a scar from it that looks like a burn.

Really nasty stuff, its all along our roadways.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.