FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: need help pricing used handguns  (Read 1275 times)

vipercat64

• Speak softly and carry a big (ugly)stick...
need help pricing used handguns
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:16 AM »
I have just recently been issued a pistol permit, and am now looking for a used handgun.  I have decided that I want a .41 or even better a .44.  Problem is I have only one local gunshop, and the only one they have is waaaayyy out of my price range.   I am a school teacher, so time is a little short right now(end of the year and all...).   

I don't even really know what guns are going for, as I have only the one point of reference. 

Any suggestions?  I live in Central NY by the way.

Thanks
Life is what you make it...and if that doesn't work stretch the truth 'til it at least sounds good.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Re: need help pricing used handguns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Viper,
 I too am a pistol permit holder on a teacher's salary. I know good used gun shops around me that I got my .357 at. You can go to the manufacture's website and they have a pricing of their handguns new and used. You can also buy a book that has gun prices but I can't remember the name of it off hand. Shop around and find a handgun that feels right for you.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:34 AM »
Viper,
   I would suggest a .41 mag..I've got a .44 and a .41 and to be honest with you, the .41 shoots flatter, has less recoil, and manages to put deer down just as easy.  The only reason I even carry the .44 is that my wife bought it for me (she paid for it and I had to go pick it up and do all the paperwork) and it's special because of that.   My father-in-law works at ProGun in Victor NY (just south of Rochester) and they seem to be pretty reputable and competitively priced.  Look around though and make sure you are getting a gun that has been taken care of and most importantly a gun that not only fits your budget but one that is comfortable in your hand.

vipercat64

• Speak softly and carry a big (ugly)stick...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

:)
Life is what you make it...and if that doesn't work stretch the truth 'til it at least sounds good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.