FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I lost my best fishing friend on Saturday  (Read 11709 times)

fishboy

Re: I lost my best fishing friend on Saturday
« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2006, 08:43 AM »
What an aweful ordeal.  I offer my condolences and my prayers.
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:26 AM »
Sorry to hear of your losses. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Terry

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:29 AM »
I am really sorry to hear of your loss. You and his family will be in my prayers.    Ron
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

toguetaker

« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:04 AM »
  You must believe that things like this happen for a reason. Never forget that he was doing what he loved with who he loved. True friends live within us long after they are gone. I can still hear my Grandfather telling me to check my spoons for weeds and he has been gone for 10 years. I know that you are hurting now and will be for a long time. All I can tell you is to continue to do what he would want you to do. That is how he will live on. And on that quite morning while setting your lines out,and your eyes swell up with tears, let them go and remember your friend.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for all the support everyone.  Just by being yourselves you are keeping me sane.  I'm obviously not posting as much, but I'm still here, learning a little and laughing a little.  I don't know if I'll ever make it back out on Lake Michigan, but the inland smallies are still calling.

The medical examiner was unable to find a cause of death.  Because Kirk's situation is so rare and because it's important to find any congenital defects for his siblings, his organs have been sent to the CDC in Atlanta for further study.  It will take months, but we need to find out if there is anything that his sisters and brother need to have checked out.  Personally, I'd also like some concrete explanation as to why I had to watch my close friend die.

I'm hanging in there.  The internal movie of the whole catastrophe has finally stopped playing on a constant loop in my mind.  At first I couldn't stop remembering every detail, but now just the random stuff is clanging around in there.  The pee bucket was bouncing around an bugging me, the lake flies were everywhere, the sirens were REALLY loud.  Stupid stuff like that. 

I went to the dentist and doctor yesterday.  I pulled my right hamstring and some muscles in the small of my back fairly substantially when I horsed off the gunwale and onto the deck --  a wave came at just the wrong time and I really had to torque him over to keep him on board.  So I'm still pretty gimpy, but I got my tooth fixed and I know that the physical therapist I'm going to today is cute and single. ;)  My wife used to work with her.

Our core group of Kirk's guy friends dragged me out to a bar last night.  We watched the hotties play volleyball, got stunningly drunk, and laughed over a million Kirk stories.  I think he would've approved.

I've become friends with Kirk's three sisters over the years.  They've done me the great honor of asking me to eulogize Kirk at his funeral on Friday.  Sara, the middle sister, told me that my eulogy for Erin in January was so moving that I was her first choice to do Kirk's.  I can only humbly hope that I can do his memory the justice that it deserves.  They also asked me to be a pall bearer, but I had to pass because of my back.

Jen (fiancee) and I have been talking constantly.  We are pretty much in same boat now, with her about six months behind me.  She reminded me this morning that Kirk is probably up in heaven with Erin right now trying to teach her to fish.  And that Erin is most likely just as disinterested as she was down here with me.  That made us laugh until we were crying again. ;D :'(

Thanks again everybody.  I hope to be on the water with you again soon.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Niffken

• Tournament Plastic Baits Niffken.com
« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Since I read this post yesterday it has been on my mind.   I am sorry to hear about your best fishing buddy.
Some People are like slinkies... they are not really good for anything, but... they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Pikeguy

« Reply #36 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Since I read this post yesterday it has been on my mind.   I am sorry to hear about your best fishing buddy.

I concur. I had a nice talk about it with my new girlfriend last night and both out prayers went out for you all. I'm glad to hear you got out with the guys and did the whole remembering thing...that really can help. I doubt Kirk would want you to stay off Lake Michigan for too long...get out there and pay tribute to him by catching some fish just the way he taught you. PS.. I'm sure your eulogy will be great.

Adam

HOOKEMNCOOKEM

« Reply #37 on: Jul 19, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Lucas

I don't even know how to express the sympathy we're all feeling for you. I do know that I wish we could all be as lucky as Kirk and have a friend like you! :'(
I didn't come here to stay home.

Kyle

« Reply #38 on: Jul 19, 2006, 11:52 AM »
very sorry for the loss :'(

Big_Buck_Hunter

« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Hey Augur, sorry to hear that. I'll bet your friend would have been proud and honored to know how you persevered to save his life.  That's true testimony to how much you cared for him.   Tight lines and let the next salmon be a big one, in his honor.
Bring on the bow season...

Slimechaser

• A sconni lawn ornament.
« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Xrhino,
You are a stud! I'm almost 38 yrs old, and when I finish growing up, I really want to be just like you!!! I can't imagine going through so much in a single year. As well as my heartfelt sympathy, you also have my highest respect. Please hang in there, You need to pass on those salmon catching skills!

Remember brother, time heals everything, just some things take more time than others.

Also your pm box is full.
Rockbass - not just another pretty fish!
Got nymph?         I do!

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #41 on: Jul 19, 2006, 01:41 PM »
Xrhino,
You are a stud! I'm almost 38 yrs old, and when I finish growing up, I really want to be just like you!!! I can't imagine going through so much in a single year. As well as my heartfelt sympathy, you also have my highest respect. Please hang in there, You need to pass on those salmon catching skills!

Remember brother, time heals everything, just some things take more time than others.

Also your pm box is full.
Thanks for the public compliment Slimechaser.  It's mostly unfounded, though.  Steve and I just did for Kirk what any friends would've done.  Same goes for what we are doing for his family.  Like my father in law is fond of saying, "If we all just acted like our mother's taught us to a little more often, the world would be a much better place."

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #42 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Hang in there Lucas, better days are ahead. My deepest condolances go out to you.

Dan
Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

Grimace

« Reply #43 on: Jul 19, 2006, 06:13 PM »
reading this story has affected me.  I will remember it when i am with my friends and try to enjoy them a little more.  cause you just never know.

i cant imagine what you guys are going through.  especially the fiance.

my condolences.

Art 53

« Reply #44 on: Jul 19, 2006, 07:07 PM »
Auger You are a much stronger man than I. First your wife than good friend  this is the third time I sat at the computer and cried for you! Sorry for your wife, your friend but the fellowship after a wake or funeral is the best medicine.better times have to come to you. My thought are with you Art

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.