FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SKi help  (Read 2909 times)

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
SKi help
« on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Im gonna be up at the cottage for a week real soon. Its a pretty decent musky lake. Ive seen some real monsters swimming in there. I however never really went after them. Id like to get one for the tourny. Can any of you guys help me out, some tips or something. Its a skinny lake, reaches about 30 ft. Has some stumps down on the bottom, good weed beds, and plenty of food for them. I have one musky lure that has gotten smallmouth, and pike. I was leaning towards using big livebait and working it along the deep edges of the weedbeds. Suckers, shiners, or big baitfish of somekind

><<<<<<<<<>  ><>

Fishing is life

MIRC!

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Re: SKi help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I'd get a big prolly a 12"+ sucker and put it under a big bobber.  Make sure you have wire leader.  Or get some of those big bucktail spinners and throw those things around.

Then again my biggest muskie came on a 3" walleye shiner on a slip bobber rig.  The muskies will be hanging out near the stumps and the cabbage weeds.  Most likely they will be shallow especially if there is shallow cover.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
Re: SKi help
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2006, 08:08 AM »
They prefer the colder water and will *usually* stay a bit deeper during the day in the summer. I'd concentrate on some of the deeper structure, but it never hurts to try working the weedbeds as well.

My favorite is still throwing big topwater lures at dusk and after dark. Thats seems to have produced the most strikes for me.

If using live bait, I'd suggest doing so with a circle hook. You can go a flurocarbon leader without as much risk of being bitten off (I never have yet with them) plus its safer on the fish as the hook will catch in the side of the jaw. Try to match the native forage, perch, suckers, big shiners, small walleye (as long as its legal), ect. They are more likely to take something native to them than something they've never seen before.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.