FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gimli Question  (Read 3966 times)

Fresh-Water Freak

• Born To fish Forced to........Go to school
Gimli Question
« on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:21 AM »
 Well I was wondering how the fishing is in and around gimli area and for the most part off the pier and for perch and what to use. We are going out there on a camping trip for a couple of days and would like to do some fish'n if anyone has any tips I would apprechiate them alot. ;D ;D ;D
NOTHING!! Beats The Feeeling Of Hearing That Drag Let Lose When You Set The Hook On Big Red River CAT!!

grumpymoe

Re: Gimli Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:25 AM »
standard fare for perch fishing is the old reliable pickerel rig baited with small chopped chunks of salted minnows..you'll get the usual mix of perch, drum, and burbot...as far as the area?...want a change of pace, take the same rigs and hit some of the quiet beaches for shore fishing for more of the same...good spots are Camp Morton, Arnes where you can drive down to the lake past the golf course, and of course Hnausa pier...Grump

fishguy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:52 AM »
Good advice Grump, I would definately suggest the Gimli Pier, Silver Harbour (arnes), Hnausa dock north of Arnes (you can drive your vehicle out onto this pier) generally Pickeral rigs and shinners and worms will work well.  Fishing is also better early morning or evening in the heat.  Also the creek (drunken river) beside silver harbor has some huge carp if you have the know how to get him.

Side note:  Last weekend on the beach north of Gimli the west wind was washing dead burbot up on the shore. The kids in the area picked up about a 1/2 dozen and chucked them in the garbage. Must have got trapped in a area of water to warm for them.

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2006, 08:50 PM »
 Thanks alot guys leaving tomorrow so off the pier with pickerel rig should do ok for perch  ??? ???.And I will tell you guys how it went  ;D ;D.
NOTHING!! Beats The Feeeling Of Hearing That Drag Let Lose When You Set The Hook On Big Red River CAT!!

jeremyw111

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:35 PM »
I found the best place for the biggest perch was right at the end of the pier between the 2 piers.  You might also latch into some small walleyes or sauger there.  Had my luck on minnows, but worms will probably work too.  O ya...early in the morning is best, but an hour before sunset till sunset is OK too.

Fresh-Water Freak

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2006, 06:58 AM »
 Thanks guys can't wait to try. ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.