FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catching Alewife  (Read 18880 times)

fireplug

• I fish, therefore I lie
Catching Alewife
« on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:33 AM »
New to the Finger Lakes, NY region and it seems that the Alefwife is a great bait to use for trout (I LOVE Trout fishing). Any advice on how to catch alewife, or (easier) bait shops around Canandaigua/Rochester that sell them.  Thanks!!!
Time not spent outdoors is wasted time.....

anthonyebola

Re: Catching Alewife
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I usually use a Sabiki rig in rivers during an Alewife run. You can usually catch a few on a any given cast... You use them for Trout in NY???  No wayy!  We use them for Stripahs!

fireplug

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2007, 01:14 PM »
I usually use a Sabiki rig in rivers during an Alewife run. You can usually catch a few on a any given cast... You use them for Trout in NY???  No wayy!  We use them for Stripahs!
Lakers and Brown trout supposedly love them. I dunno (yet) as my trout fishing until I moved here to NY was in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. UL tackle and small spinners/spoons were the only thing I used (mainly because I had to pack the tackle along with my sleeping bag, tent, wtc... 5 miles from the car before I could fish.)

mainedukblaster

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:33 PM »
can't use alewife in maine as a live bait for freshwater species.. ??? ???

fireplug

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:46 PM »
can't use alewife in maine as a live bait for freshwater species.. ??? ???

Some lakes here in NY won't allow them, either. And, if I catch my own, I have to use them immediately at the lake where I caught them without transportation by car (at least I think that is the new regulation)  ???

Gorilla

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:26 PM »
What is a good lure to mimic an alewife?  I am going fishing in a reservoir that brought in Hybrid Strippers to get rid of the alewives

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2007, 09:34 PM »
the storm kickin minnow looks like one so much I am not sure I coud tell the difference if a sawbelly and a lure were side by side.. its impressive
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Scientist

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Check your states regulations first on bait fish netting. But the most efficient way of catching landlocked alewives is at night from an anchored boat. Shine a bright spot 500,000 candle power or more over ten feet of water. Wait for approximately half hour and you should see them circling  below the spot. You can either use a cast net or a dip net to catch them.

DAN1681

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Has anyone ever tried a minnow trap for alewives?  Just curious.  Have seen some huge schools and want to get some for trout.  It's hard for me to get out at night for them, and if it works it might be the key for me.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I know of a couple commercial guys that net them in the Finger Lakes.  They go out at night and have a special light system that they put in the water to attract them.  You need a good aerator to keep them alive, they are very sensitive fish and die easily.  From my experience they spawn on nights with a bright moon usually in May-June.  I've been out on nights and they were all schooled up jumping all over the place.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2010, 03:36 PM »
When I lived in Michigan we would catch them off the peir with a throw net....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fish problem

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Know your regs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.