21 (41.2%)
7ft  Medium Heavy
2 (3.9%)
7ft  Heavy
0 (0%)
Other
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: The Most Versatile Rod "POLL"  (Read 7119 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
The Most Versatile Rod "POLL"
« on: Mar 25, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I was pondering this the other day, as I made a new reel purchase and could not decide what style rod would be the perfect fit...what do you think?

Becuase different companys make different sized rods, when choosing the lenght..6ft means all rods from 6'1 to 6'11, and so on..pleas chose other for rods under 6ft or over 7ft

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
Re: The Most Versatile Rod "POLL"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 03:59 PM »
No 7ft Light?

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Chucker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007, 06:14 PM »
6'6" ML would be my choice.

reubenpa

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I ditto what chucker says... a ML has the sensitivity that you might need for pannies and things like dropshotting, and strong enough for smallish cranks and jerk baits.... It can't throw big lures comfortably but I did get my second largest slargemouth on a 6-6 ML ... I was throwing a musky spinnerbait that was massive.. the rod could hardly throw it 40 feet but a 21 inch 5 lb largemouth slammed it.............
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:57 AM »
My most used rod is a 6'6" ML from St. Croix. Love using that for river smallmouth and jigging walleyes. Didn't see ML listed so didn't vote.
Ken A.

carpcatcher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:42 PM »
My choice wasn't on the list either. I'm a 7' ML guy, good enough for some bigger stuff and still can get those light biting crappies. ;)
           Jim
Love 2 fish

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:53 PM »
6'6" ML has worked for for years, although I tell the wife that each fish and each reel type require a specialized rod. ;)

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

tracker 1

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:54 PM »
 I have 6'6 ML Diawa and that is my favorite rod.The rest of my rods are 6 medium. The ML daiwa seems to be just right for jigging for eyes. Cant wait for the season to start.

fishfry

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:56 PM »
6' graphite, medium

Danny Boy

• Pêcheur d'Esox
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:39 PM »
If I had to vote, I would say 6' 6" medium to medium heavy.  The lights bend too much and require excessive movement for a good hookset when fishing mono.  Sensitivity has never been an issue.  Anything longer than this is trouble when fishing with more than one person on a boat.

Gotta agree with Pigshanks on this one.  Why would you want to buy a versatile rod in the first place?   ???  Ron Popiel still swears that his Pocket Fisherman is the only rod and reel you will ever need!

PolarEscape

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I just bought a 7' Medium Ugly Stick. It has great sensitivity and is stiff enough to handle large fish, I have been using Ugly Stick poles for years and love them.

Skeeder II

• Empty Hook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2007, 07:46 PM »
My most used rod is a 6'6" ML from St. Croix. Love using that for river smallmouth and jigging walleyes. Didn't see ML listed so didn't vote.
  I have one also and for hands on fishing I think it is pretty hard to beat.

Big Burk

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:24 AM »
i really like my 7 ft. Diawa Medium action rod, it is great for jigging walleyes, throwing spoons, topwaters, crankbaits, spinners, and handles big fish like pike and carp really well.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2007, 03:31 AM »
My choice wasn't on the list either. I'm a 7' ML guy, good enough for some bigger stuff and still can get those light biting crappies. ;)
           Jim
DITTO!!!!....It's a little long for some applications, a little short for others...a little light for some and a little stiff for others...but the bottom line is it will work for most. It's not my GO TO rod  (as I own over 20 rods)  but it would suffice for 70% of my fishing. If the Almighty Father were to place his hand on my shoulder today and say..."My son...You will be blessed with an eternal life of fishing the most productive waters you can imagine...but you can only bring ONE ROD"....That would have to be it.... ;D...WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

squam river bait

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2008, 08:38 PM »
I would like to see you all use rods made in the usa, oops forgot china is now part of the usa, he,he, its sad to say almost all rods and reels are made in china. my best rod was made in the good ole usa. tight lines men.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.