FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Planer Board for a Canoe  (Read 4903 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Best Planer Board for a Canoe
« on: Apr 06, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I have a canoe that is currently rigged up with both a trolling motor and a fish finder, I was looking at buying some planer boards so I could start doing a little more trolling....anyone have a suggestion on the best boards for slow trolling in a canoe?

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Best Planer Board for a Canoe
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2007, 04:35 PM »
did I miss somthing?

meadowpikeman

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I assume he's thinking its funny that your trolling in a canoe. I don't really think its funny as I catch a lot of big trout in my canoe. I do exactly what your talking about  a real nice slow troll with flies from a canoe can be absolutely deadly on trout. I imagine your not using planer board rods or anything like that so i would go with a smaller planer board because of the lighter gear.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Scientist

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2007, 03:42 PM »
The only way I could see that it is funny if you decide to mount the heavy duty cannon planner boards or the big john otter boards that requires a mast in the center of your canoe. It would look a little out of place and definitely overkill. Canoes are some of the quietest vessels on the water, definitely great for flatline trolling. I have used Church Tackle Walleye Boards with great success for walleye and trout. A pair, port and starboard, will set you back about 80 bucks, but you can but one if you choose. They are about eight inches in length, they have ultra lite settings and best of all when you have a strike it can signal you almost like a tip-up. The flag is optional, but I think it is well worth it, makes it more interesting. The setting I use is if a fish strikes the bait flag goes up but it can be set the opposite way as well. If you want to max out the distance between you vessel and the planer board try using a super line. I have had mine as far as 200 yards away with no interference.

akdg

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I made a pair of planer boards about  25 years ago and have used them in boats from my canoe in ponds to 30' cabin cruisers on the saltwater.  If you want the measurements I could pm them to you.  Very easy to make, all you need is some 3/4 inch cedar, some all thread, nuts, washers and a drill and skill saw.  Paint them so they won't soak up much water and get heavy and they will last for years.  Let me know  ;D  How slow are you talking?  The only draw back you might have with any planerboards is if you are trying to go realllllllly slowwwww ???

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2007, 02:17 AM »
Bassjunky,
I'd stick with the inline boards like the Yellowbirds and Otter boards.  Your probably restriced by space?  So go small!  I believe it's Luhr Jenson who makes a side planner board that works great on rivers and slow speeds...  I have used these boards in combonation with a noodle rod or similar length pole.  That way you can deploy the board and retrieve it without bending over the side, which seems like trouble in a canoe!  Good luck!
Barleydog

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Church tackle TX-6 mini mag in-line.  Its about 5 inches long, pulls well, and will be fine in a canoe.
# SAND

Bigfish57

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2007, 02:49 PM »

I use the small yellow boards and it works good. Typically I use 1 to get close to shore and then troll a deeper line to the other side right from the rod holder. The only thing I don't like about this is reeling in the fish with the board on the line, not the Sexest way to do it but works too well to pass up.
Anthony

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008, 02:57 PM »
here.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.