FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trout lures-favorite  (Read 10160 times)

trout sen-sei

trout lures-favorite
« on: Apr 04, 2004, 04:31 PM »
What are your favorite trout lures and spinners? Here in Pa. some of my favorites are hus-lures, joes flies, mepps, and rooster tails.

Mackdaddy21

Re: trout lures-favorite
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:35 PM »
As far as lures go you cannot beat a #6 panther martin. My top color is Chartreuse. I also like orange as well. Gold is the best in sunny weather. Rainbow and brown trout colors also work well. I like to put on one or two small split shot above the spinner to increase casting distance and get the spinner to run deeper.
The most important thing when spinner fishing is to let it sink and not retrieve it fast. Throw it up stream and make sure you let it sink. The current will turn the blade as it tumbles downstream. Once it gets out in front of you, begin reeling it very slow, and keep your rodtip pointed down. Casting out the lure and just reeling it in at a fast speed isn't very effective. Larger trout are down in the deep troughs eating baitfish. Browns will typically hold closer to the surface than rainbows, and will go longer distances to chase a spinner. Use six pound original stren mono.
Tyler

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2004, 06:41 PM »
I agree with Tyler.  He has given you great advice.  Panther Martins are deadly effective.  I use 1/4 oz. the most, but early spring I go as heavy as 1/2 oz.  Also try Blue Fox Vibrax.  I prefer using the ones with plain hooks.  For bucktail spinners, I like using Mepps Aglias and Black Furys.

I use spinners from size "00" all the way through "2".  You have to mix it up and find out what the trout want each time you are out.  Some days they like the ultra lights and others they want something larger.  It helps to have lots of color choices too.  But I also agree that chartreuse and fluoresent orange are "hot".

I also like super dupers in gold and silver with red tips and prism reflective tape on them.  Phoebes, little cleos, daredevils, krocodiles, and kastmasters are my favorite spoons.

The phoebe is a particular favorite of mine.  Not because it is the most effective, but because it was invented in my home town (Walton, NY) by Frank Wright and the Butternut Island Tackle Company.  I never met Mr. Wright, but my grandfather knew him.  He later sold his design to the Acme Tackle Company who still produces the phoebe today.  I have an original still in its package and I will see if I can get a picture posted.

Invicta

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:08 PM »
1. Husky Jerk-2.5" silver/black, baby bass, and perch
2. Rebel crawfish, and crickhopper
3. Mepps thunder bug
4. Panther Martin 1/16oz.
5. Rooster Tail- black, white, chartreuse, and yellow

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:09 PM »
Everyone so far has been correct about the spinner choice, but I'll throw in some often overlooked lures as well.

I like a 2-3" brown trout colored countdown rapala and I also like 2-3" cordell super spots, especially silver and blue color in clear and fire tiger in murky. These lures (cordell super spots) are rattling crankbaits and you must sink them because they don't sink by realing them. I particularly enjoy sinking a silver and blue to the bottom in clear water on a sunny day, and ripping it towards me really hard one time before I start my retrieve. This seems to get the trout in the vacinity of the area interested. Husky jerks (rapala) and shad raps also work well.

Spoons, I have found, work usually only very well in lakes. Although in rivers, I have found crocodiles to  be fairly effective. I like the 1/4 oz in rainbow trout color or gold color. (this is in a larger river)

For small streams, #4 pm (panther martin) spinners work very well. Just remember to keep a variety of sizes of panther martins from #2-#9. certain sizes will work better in certain situations. (although, #6 seems to be the best)

I don't like mepps spinners very much, but if you don't have panther martins, blue fox works good too, just adjust the size because the sizing will be different.

Browntrout08

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:36 PM »
My favorite is panther martins.  Last week I bought 10 of them and I lost 5 of them during my first outing this year.

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2004, 08:34 PM »
so far it is worms, but I am not very experienced at trout.  very really used lures except for an occasional spinner
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:13 PM »
yellow panther martins are my favorite for sure  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:36 AM »
For small stream/lake trout, my favorites are rooster tails (white/silver, yellow/silver and brown/black w/ glow-in-the-dark label on the blade), then blue fox (blue/silver and all copper), then Mepps.

Although I have a lot of panther martins (for some reason I buy more every spring) I rarely have any luck with them ???

For Steelhead my favorite is a spoon called a Johnson Sprite (silver or silver with orange or chartreuse stripe). but these are very hard to find.  I'm not sure if they are still made or not.  The ones I have are about 10 years old and still catching fish ;D
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:53 AM »
All the spinners and spoons mentioned are great and should be a part of everyones arsonal. But donn't forget Jigs. Small marabu or bucktails will catch a lot of trout when all else fails dead drifting them under a float or slowly working them near or on bottom accounts for a lot of my Trout.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:55 PM »
For small stream/lake trout, my favorites are rooster tails (white/silver, yellow/silver and brown/black w/ glow-in-the-dark label on the blade), then blue fox (blue/silver and all copper), then Mepps.

Although I have a lot of panther martins (for some reason I buy more every spring) I rarely have any luck with them ???

You might not be letting them run deep enough. Also, you are probably using the wrong colors at the wrong times. Almost always when fishing a spinner, let it sink right near the bottom, very, very close. and real it slowly.

Strange... I have never caught anything on rooster tails

SALMOTRUTTA

« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2004, 01:01 PM »
trolling i like to use joes flies in the royal coachman pattern ,needlefish or a dodger and fly combo.

suskymusky

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2004, 08:47 AM »
I like roostertails and CP swing spinners for streamtrout.My favorite is a small Rapala in black/silver or vampire.I like to put some Dr. Juice on it.It seems to trigger folowing fish.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Esox

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2004, 11:41 AM »
I use Mepps XD's , syclops,and  Mr Twister "Meatloaf Shad". Whatever brand you use, color and presentation are criticle. If you don't have the right color for the day...sometimes hour, or you don't get your lure where the fish are, you won't catch much. Keep an open mind to different colors. Try not to get into the "Red XYZ lure always works" mind set.

For those who stream fish and lose a lot of lures.....Switch you hooks to singles and you will cut your loss by 90%. A single hook will tend to roll over rocks and branches, where a treble will get caught. You also get better hook penitration and lose less fish. O'shaugnasy and Aberdeen hooks the same width of the entire treble hook you are replacing are a good choice.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:10 PM »
I find that losing lures is just a necessity to catch them. I disagree with using one hook because your hooking percentage will also decrease greatly. How many times have I caught a trout with only one hook holding him? A lot of times, thus, your hooking percentage on occasiones like this decreases by 66.6666%

Use all three hooks, unless you find that an alternative works better for you.

my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.