FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crickets  (Read 8744 times)

fish_finder

crickets
« on: Jul 18, 2007, 08:29 PM »
 Anydody ever try crickets or grasshoppers as bait? I use them for trout late in the summer when its dry and they are quite easy to find, just rig them with a small float and a light wire hook no weight, just liek fishin with a dry fly!
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

fiddlehead322

Re: crickets
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Caught many trout in down east streams on grasshoppers. Tried them on a hot day when worms were scarce. Learned something that day. TROUT CANDY!

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Fish love them, the only problem is they fall off easy

Fishing is life

MIRC!

cooldude546

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2008, 05:34 PM »
they use them for bluegills in florida

troutaddict33

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:50 PM »
i flyfish with a fly that resembles a grasshopper... it solves the issue of them falling off and the trout love them just the same  :thumbup_smilie:

copperjohn

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Superglue for a super presentation.  I use a longshank wire hook, impale the abdomen from under and glue the shank to the belly.

yetinme

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Does anybody know if you can buy these online in mass? I would love to use them but catching them is a challenge.

MrMarty51

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Does anybody know if you can buy these online in mass? I would love to use them but catching them is a challenge.
We used to chase the Grasshoppers around with an old broom and swat em.Used Mom`s new broom ONCE and broke the handle so Ya gotta kinda regulate the amount of force Ya use when swatting them.
I think Ma used the broom and gave Me a good whuppin with the business end of the broom.  :w00t: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :whistling:

"Every hour a person spends fishing is not taken from their lives"
                   Quote from Grant Boyson

troutaddict33

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:03 AM »
if you wanna buy them go to a pet store especially one that sells lizards etc. they always have crickets and grasshoppers for food. Almost any pet store would have them from what ive seen, mall stores, petco, petsmart, small places, everywhere!

walleyeguy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2008, 03:01 PM »
most pet stores sell em for 10 cents a piece but i have a bearded dragon and get mine in large quanitys

http://www.cricketsdirect.com/

10.50 for 1,000

bucky75

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2008, 10:22 AM »
When I lived in NC you could not buy some of the live baits like other states and crickets were all you could get for crappie.  They do work pretty good though if you get them to stay on.  Caught some big gills and such on them while down south.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I wonder if it would work to take a small rubber band such as those they use on braces and wrap the hopper onto the hook what do you guys think ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   

fish_finder

« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2008, 07:43 PM »
That might be worth a try
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I wonder if it would work to take a small rubber band such as those they use on braces and wrap the hopper onto the hook what do you guys think ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   
yes, or something bigger if you can find them.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

princecraft

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I use crickets all year long, except for ice fishing.  The only problems I have with crickets staying on the hook is that the bluegills won't leave them alone.  You surely don't need any special gadgets to keep them on the hook.  I use #10 aberdeen hooks.  The way I hook them is to turn them over and insert the point of the hook right below the head in the thorax area.  That is the hardest part of the cricket.  I never have any problems with them staying on the hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.