FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Game Suppers (or sports food)  (Read 6211 times)

Cider

Game Suppers (or sports food)
« on: Apr 13, 2004, 10:02 AM »
Anyone have any favorite game recipes?

Here is a simple one that we had last night....

Home-made venison/wild boar bratwurst simmered in beer with sauerkraut.

To make the sauerkraut:

Drain a 2 lb bag of Boar's Head Sauerkraut.
Dice 1 medium sweet onion
Dice 1 green apple

In a larger saute pan, melt 4 tbsp of lard.  (Lard works better than butter because it won't burn, but you can use butter if you prefer.)  Add onions and saute until soft.  Add green apple and sauerkraut.  Pour in 1 1/2 cups of either stock or water.  I use venison stock whenever I have it, but chicken or beef broth will work fine.  Add 1 1/2 cups of madeira feist wine.  (Buy the best madeira you can afford.  When cooking with most wine I would recommend using an inexpensive cooking wine.  But when using madeira, buy the best; it makes a difference.)  Stir in 1-2 tsp of caraway seeds.  Cover and simmer for 30-45 min.

To prepare the bratwurst:

In a 10" skillet, pour one bottle of Killian's Red Irish Ale.  Bring to a boil.  Add three or four links of bratwurst, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.  Pour off the beer and finish cooking the sausages by either frying or grilling.  I prefer the grill.

The bratwurst was made using a recipe from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas.  It was a 50/50 mixture of venison and wild boar.

Serve the bratwurst in a hoagie roll with your favorite delicatessen style brown horseradish mustard.  Smother it with the sauerkraut and wash it all down with a bottle of Killian's!

I also do a mean venison sauerbraten if anyone is interested!!

fozsey

Re: Game Suppers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Cider,

That sounds great. How do you get that beer into the pan? When I try that it goes into my mouth instead... ;D I just can't seem to get it to work.

fozsey

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2004, 01:08 PM »

The bratwurst was made using a recipe from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas.  It was a 50/50 mixture of venison and wild boar.

I just bought that book off e-bay on reccomendation from you guys on Ice Shanty. I make a lot of Sausage I began reading it last week. Loads of info in there.

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Cider,

That sounds great. How do you get that beer into the pan? When I try that it goes into my mouth instead... ;D I just can't seem to get it to work.

Oh yeah,  I left that part out...  You need to start out with a 12 pack.  Preferably cold.  Take out your churchkey and pour one into the cook, then one into the pan, then one into the cook, then one into the... well you get the idea!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2004, 01:58 PM »
cider......been thinking alot.....maybe too much.......as soon as the morels pop up.....i will prepare the "cyber meal" and post a pic.......thinking.....thinking.....TIME FOR YOU CHOLESTEROL TEST!!!    too many posts in the FOOD section.....grump ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2004, 02:20 PM »
cider......been thinking alot.....maybe too much.......as soon as the morels pop up.....i will prepare the "cyber meal" and post a pic.......thinking.....thinking.....TIME FOR YOU CHOLESTEROL TEST!!!    too many posts in the FOOD section.....grump ;D ;D ;D ;D

You will have to wait for the fiddleheads to poke up too.  Should be any day now.  I will let you know when that is!  ;)

Just one favor...  When you post those pics, try to do it after business hours.  It would look kind of funny if I try to swallow my monitor at work!  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2004, 03:17 PM »
okey dokey!!   ;D ;D ;D  checked out a morel site.....1 oz of dried= 1 cup fresh= $10.00??????? holey smokes!!! fiddleheads same price????  grump :o :o :o :o :o

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2004, 03:23 PM »
fiddleheads same price????  grump :o :o :o :o :o

Depends on where you get them.  Avg. price is between $3-5 US for 1 pound (0.45 kg).  I try to always find the best deal by going to the farmstands or picking ourselves for free!  We can get an almost endless supply at our local Co-op, but they come from a farm and the price is on the upper end of the scale.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2004, 04:06 PM »
well...got off topic abit...back to game suppers....baseball, football, hockey???  ;D ;D ;D  don't care for baseball.....football....its snacks and dips and beer.....hockey......burgers, fries and beer... ;D ;D ;D ;D  grump

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2004, 04:21 PM »
well...got off topic abit...back to game suppers....baseball, football, hockey???  ;D ;D ;D 

Well, I guess I left myself wide open for interpretation on that one!!  What I meant was wild game meals/suppers and recipes; as in, kill it & grill it!!

TroutFishingBear

Re: Game Suppers (or sports food)
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:18 PM »
I have also  posted my recipe for venison kebabs in the hunting forum.

Cube venison into fairly small cubes. ( make sure perfect for kebab size)
Cut up union into fairly small strips. (perfect for kebab size)
cut up green peppers into fairly small strips. (perfect for kebab size)

Put in a bowl, and get some cheap southwest marinade from the store. (powder mix)

Fix the marinade, put into the huge bowl, and marinade over night.

Cook the kebabs like you would any other kebab, on the grill!!!

Serve with potatoes and home-made bread. Yum.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.