FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gulkana River Trip  (Read 4888 times)

aucoin406

Gulkana River Trip
« on: Apr 16, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Some friends of mine and I are heading up to the Gulkana, and was wondering how the fishing is around the first of July? What type of flies are best to use? Can we expect to get any salmon? What are the species that we can expect? Sorry for so many questions, but this is the trip of a lifetime and we just want to make the best of it. This is the first time that 3 of us have ever been to Alaska.  Any information would be great appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

BOULDERDASH

Re: Gulkana River Trip
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:00 AM »
gulkana  has king salmon, reds ,rainbows and greyling and lakers at the pond outlet . a special licence is needed for kings. I hope you are doing the rafting trip. dont forget the bugs you will want a head net just in case . i hope you have a copy of these books MILEPOST and alaska roadside fishing guide by gunner pederson.you can check out the river maps on the BLM site bureau of land management(us gov) and you should find a salmon run timing chart on the alaska fish and game site .almost any classic nymph or dry will work for greyling .i use alot of egg flies and egg sucking leaches and trout beads. i have only been to alaska once so im no expert. you may also want to look at the klutina river as a back up.

aucoin406

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have been on BLM web site, lots of great information. We are doing the rafting trip of the west fork to sourdough campground. I havent been able to find the regulations for this river on this section. We are going  to be in Alaska for approx 3 weeks and was wondering about the lic. They only offer up to a 14 day lic. or a year. Does anyone know if we are able to purchase a 14 day and a 7 day lic.? Or are we going to have to purchase a year? Again thanks for the information

Jeff

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2009, 10:25 AM »
i believe the fishing regs are no rainbows, 5 greyling  only one over 14",3 reds and one king over 20'.do not take fish out of the water if your C/R.king fishing is below the confluence and you need a permit stamp . Alaska fish and game ,sports fishing, regs
interior / copper river drainage if you want to read them . i  assume your going unguided,because of your questions? what made you pick that  river/ branch . can you get down it it at low water?are there allot of trees blown down  or beaver dams ? have you ever portaged a raft full of gear?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.