FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SWEETCORN!!!  (Read 5757 times)

double-aught

SWEETCORN!!!
« on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:28 AM »
here in new york, it won't be long till the sweetcorn is ready. i've been getting it at the grocery, imported from the south, but fresh picked just can't be beat.
it starts to go down hill the moment it is picked, the sugar in it turns to starch. i like to get it right before i intend to cook it.
i stumbled upon the cooking method i've been using by accident- but it's the only way i like it, now.
i steam it, in a clam steamer.
i'll peel off the outer couple layers of husks, leaving 3 or so layers of the soft, pale green inner leaves, and just pinch off the darkened silk.
i put it in the steamer, cold, and let it cook for 10 minutes or so after the water begins to boil- you can tell when it's done by the smell.
then, peel back the leaves (which make a nice handle when they cool off- this only takes a few seconds) and grab, twist and pull the silk away from the cob. it comes off in one clump.
butter it, or whatever, and enjoy.
a nice feature of doing corn this way is you can bag up the unopened ears and keep them in the fridge for a day or two. the kernels stay nice and plump, and full of juice.
my girlfreind got me into eating it cold- right from the fridge, no butter or nothin'. it's so sweet, and juicy, it's like eating candy- you'll love it, everybody who sees us do this thinks we're nuts, till they try it.

what are some of your favorite ways of cooking corn? i might try your method, but i think mine's the best!! :laugh:

Stuck-on-Seven

Re: SWEETCORN!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I had it grilled at a party one time and it was awesome just like you said cooked in the husk and it makes a perfect handle....not sure if theres any specific way to do it or not but its good

oatkasut

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2009, 04:46 PM »
corn here in central New York is scarce but I purchase it in Mumford every day I fish the Oatka fresh from the farm. I just soak the ear in water and put the wet ear on the grill or on the hot coals of the campfire for a few minutes. Just peel and eat! can't beat it.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Well cooking corn in the husk is nothing new Try soaking in water for a couple hours twist the top of husk a little to keep in steam then put on the grill but here is what I do after. Cover the corn with wet burlap bag soaked in water. close the lid and in a couple miniutes when you trun the corn resoak the bag in water just wring out excess water from bag and cover this all keeps in the steam and keeps the ears from drying out too much.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.