FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: custom rod building tips  (Read 2841 times)

gbrebory

custom rod building tips
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:02 AM »
want to start with a blank and make my own rod and have no idea how to start what tools and equipment i need please help

mongosmash

Re: custom rod building tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:03 PM »
were do yhou live
tight lines and wet flies

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Start here;
http://www.mudhole.com/

Spend what you can for a blank or a kit. Get back to us when you decide what rod you want to build. Start small, think simply.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gbrebory

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:33 PM »
this is basically what i wanna start with http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/X-Camo-Rod-Blanks i want the 6'6 medium fast but i wanna 2 piece i want this for mainly bass walleye and pike shore and some small boat fishing not alot of trolling i am going to be using spinning cause i hate baitcasting rods (just the way i was raised)

gbrebory

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:09 PM »
btw i live in michigan

mongosmash

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:28 AM »
btw i live in michigan

okay then i won't be able to help much. their is a tackle shop that holds classes on how to do it. all you have to do is sign up and buy you blank and hardware from their stock and the class is free. when your done with the class, the handle is on,the tip is also on and one guild is on. Then you go home with the tool you need to finish putting it all together. when your done bring it back to have a finish coat of epoxy put on all the wrappings so they will hold up to the abuse we put them through. this is how i learned how to do it, but i wouldn't be able to help from over the internet. but it sounds like RG has done this before a couple times and will be able to lead you in the right direction. good luck and let us see it when your done.
tight lines and wet flies

gbrebory

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:54 AM »
there is also a g loomis 6'6" medium fast 2 piece that i got my eye on but i dont think i really wanna spend that much.... those xcamos are cool lookin and there is a limited lifetime warranty on the blanks so i mean what could i wanna spend 3 times as much for a loomis

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Back up a bit!
Buy a blank and give it a try first before you go dropping too much $$$

Cabelas and Janns have some very reasonable kits.

There's some basic equipment to be considered and a learning curve to tying and finishing a rod.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gbrebory

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:34 PM »
yea ive been looking at all the stuff and i figure about 400 oughtta get me started i found a kit from st croix that has all the stuff a notorized rod turner and all the fixins that is 189 and i figure i want a rod and my ole lady wants that pink camo from xcamo so that is another 120-130 plus thread and i think i want some fancy guides so well see how things go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.