FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Red River  (Read 5371 times)

fly-in

Re: Red River
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I saw In-Fisherman the other day and Doug Stange was fishing for channel cats.
He using just a flat sinker threaded through the middle of it on the line, he alos a bead to stop the sinker and a hook with cut bait.

Have any of you ever tired this rig? ???

WW

Thats the most common rig used here, but I like TH rig better still, I think it keeps your bait off the bottom a foot or so. Nothing says cats only eat off the floor.

I did fish with some other forum users a couple years back, I was the only one in the boat who used the three way swivel rig and shrimp, landed the biggest fish of the night, and I think we all landed at least five cats.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Hammer Time

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 03:24 PM »
. Funny thing is the biggest cat i ever caught 44.5 was behind the Legislative building in Winnipeg 
    Ok Im full of beans. Fish I caught were 33 and 34.5 inch.I happen to reread my post..Oops!!   ???

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Cats over 40" are pretty few and far between lots in the 30 -39" range out there. My self I've only caught one 41"  and it was also out of the assiniboine river. The red definatly produces better numbers of quality fish though!!  8)

Hammer Time

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 07:01 AM »
Yeah I know over 40 are fairly rare. I was looking at my post and realised I blew it.  Hear enough "Tall tails" on this site without making my own up.   ;D ;D

T-Rfishing

« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Guys if you want to consistently catch big cats you need to gear up use a heavy set up like hoghammer says but forget the shrimp  ;D For the monsters use big chunks of fresh cut bait like suckers or goldeyes. Shrimp will work but you'll be messing with small cats and  drum too. Bigger baits = Monster cats think about it a big channel will eat whole goldeyes like popcorn  8)
This 39" was the biggest of 30 cats caught one day last season in the red on fresh cut goldeye.

Nice Cat Man Keep up the good work . last Week I caught a 21"  On a red devil spoon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.