FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catfish on artificial lures!  (Read 6358 times)

slipperybob

Catfish on artificial lures!
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:50 PM »
You always hear the occasional catfish strike on an artificial lure, but targeting them with an artificial lure can be a total challenge.  I tried the good'ol inline spiner for them.  Just a small one.  #9 Panther Martin.  Those channel cats were definitely on the prowl.  It was a total mix between them and river small mouths.  The smallies were a little closer to shore line.  I had to get my casts a little further out to catch the catfish.  A catfish strike was a hard hit that feels a lot like a snagged log in the river.   Only then, it will swim away and you know you've got a fish instead of a snag.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Velcro

Re: Catfish on artificial lures!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:26 PM »
I haven;t caught any cats on artificial lures, but I hear that CT's record channel was caught on a surface lure.

troutsdaddy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I"ve caught numerous catfish on rattle-traps but the most consistent lure was a fly i tied to represent a small brim or bluegill!  Only worked "well" during prespawn and spawn when the cats were predominately shallow...never had the chance to try it at night but i could consistantly catch 10lb plus channels for a five to six week period then they would shut down because of the heat.

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:19 AM »
My old man used to catch some channels with a feather jig during the time when the caterpillars are crawling in full force.  He did pretty good with a black and yellow pattern or a green and yellow pattern.  To this day, I still haven't figure out how he did it.

beaver1080

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2010, 03:35 AM »
this one nailed a rapala right at the boat the other day and we get them all the time like this. leaving now and hope to get some more.

notice rapala still in. 5lb cat

slipperybob

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I have to add one more artificial lure that caught a channel catfish.  A 22" catfish hammered a #4 Mepps Aglia gold blade.

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I can't say as I've ever caught a cat on an artificial. But I rarely fish artificials so I guess that would stand to reason, sounds like fun though.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.