FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brine recipies for smoked fish  (Read 5621 times)

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
Brine recipies for smoked fish
« on: Jun 14, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I just got a smoker and I want to try to smoke some smaller trout.  Anyone have any brine recipies or can you point me to a good source.  Thanks for the help!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Brine recipies for smoked fish
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2004, 11:39 AM »
I just got a smoker and I want to try to smoke some smaller trout.  Anyone have any brine recipies or can you point me to a good source.  Thanks for the help!

Morton makes a good one called Mortons Sugar Cure  Follow directions exactly or it will be too salty. You can buy it at some bigger grocery stores. If not talk to manager and see if he will order it for you.
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

Cider

Re: Brine recipies for smoked fish
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Bobman - this is my favorite for trout in the 10-15" range.  The basic recipe came from a Little Chief Smoker cookbook a long time ago.  I mess with it every time I smoke trout to see if I can improve upon the last time I prepared some...

This is the recipe that I use for 10-15" brookies and rainbows...

Brine:

1/3 c  Sugar
    1/4 c  Non-iodized salt
      2 c  Soy sauce
      1 c  Water
    1/2 ts Onion powder
    1/2 ts Garlic powder
    1/2 ts Pepper
    1/2 ts Tabasco sauce
      1 c  Dry white wine  (RH Phillips EXP viognier)

Mix thoroughly.  Brine whole trout overnight in the refrigerator in a large sealed container or ziploc bag.  Rinse thoroughly after brining and pat dry with a paper towel.  Lay the trout on a baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar, cilantro, sweet basil, parsley, and a small amount of butter.  Par bake the trout at about 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes to melt the sugar/spice mixture into a glaze.

Smoke over your favorite wood.  I use either alder/hickory mix or apple.  Fruit woods are better for fish, but either will work.  As far as smoking time is concerned it really depends upon the temp of your smoker, size of the fish, and outside air temp.  I think I usually go anywhere from 3-8 hrs.  Just watch the fish, you will know when it is done! 

You can also add a little terriyake sauce and liquid smoke to the brine if you wish.  Play with it a little each time you do it until you get the desired flavor!!!

Recipe Credit: Luhr-Jensen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.