FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need help choosing a fish finder.  (Read 4090 times)

BigDVO

Need help choosing a fish finder.
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I recently purchased a 24ft fishing pontoon boat for this upcoming season. I would like to know the best bang for my buck in a fish finder. Im not looking at spending a mint but would be comfortable spending up to the $500 range. GPS is not necessary but would be neat if available. I purchased my first finder this winter (Lowrance x67c) for ice fishing and enjoyed using a finder so much that I gotta get one for my new boat. Any help would be great as I know very little about them at all. Ease of use would also be a bonus.

Thanks for your help

Lake Raker

• SteveK
Re: Need help choosing a fish finder.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I like the Humminbirds and was very happy with the Eagle units I had prior. I recommend buying used, you can get a lot more for the same price.

Lifeguard

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:49 PM »
For the $500 range, I'd look at the new Humminbirds with down imaging. 

http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-Fishfinder-596c-HD-DI-Sonar-Fishfinder/product/10210563/-1764753

If you could find a few hundred more, I'd certainly step up the the Humminbird 798c si, I think the side imaging is worth the extra coin.

fishfinger

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:14 PM »
I've got a Humminbird 898 and absolutely love it. It is well worth the extra money.  I don't use the down imaging that much. But the side imaging has honestly helped me catch a ton more fish. 

I also like the "buying used" suggestion, if you're on a budget. Search ebay and such and you should be able to find a quality unit.

I'm waiting for Johnson Outdoors (Humminbird/Minnkota parent company) to come out with a link up, so I can send waypoints to my Terrova I-Pilot from my 898.  Wishful thinking maybe ;)

Lifeguard

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Found this video which really helped me understand the display of the side imaging.  I didn't realize that the dark area down the center was the water column.  Shows a little on the down imaging as well.  Can't wait to get my 998c si mounted up now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xe6pLPdMKc

venisonman

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:17 AM »
Great little video. Thanks for sharing.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

DT5150

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011, 10:35 AM »
just installed a lowrance hds 5 in my boat, got to use it for the first time this weekend. what an awesome unit..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.