FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MD. and Va. portions of AI 4th of July wk  (Read 3329 times)

scavengerj

MD. and Va. portions of AI 4th of July wk
« on: Jul 12, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Well, we did the unthinkable...we went to Chincoteaque for the July fourth holiday. We waited until Sun. to make the drive since there was no way I was going to sit in the traffic Fri. or Sat. Made it down Sun. afternoon, and as usual stop in to see our great friends at Capt. Steve's. It was great to see everyone!
Of course, as usual this time of the year, the OSV area of the Va. side of AI was closed due to those chickens. Since it was hot and I was in no hurry to get out on the beach (also knowing that the MD. portion was probably at capacity at that time) I decided to just chill in the AC at the hotel while fishingirlpa hit the pool. After a good night's sleep we were ready to hit the beach the next morning.
Luckily we weren't too late getting to the MD OSV portion and only had to wait about 10mins. to get on.

Monday-
Time: 8:00a.m. - 9:30p.m.
Area: just north of the Bullpen (mkr.18)
Water temp: upper 70°s
Water clarity: dirty
air temp: upper 80°s
Sky: partly cloudy/sunny/cloudy
wind: S/SW
Tide(s): incoming to incoming
wave height: under 2 foot
bait/rigs: FBBW on TB float rigs- 4oz to 5oz was holding well
Plenty of Kings and croaker on the incoming and outgoing tide(s) - moving water was the key with a much better bite happening during the incoming.
After sun-down the mosquitoes came out in droves. We managed to hold out until shortly after 9, since we were wanting to watch the fireworks from OC, but the blood-suckers were just too much for us, so we called it a day and watched the fireworks at the air pumps.
Did meet one of the nicest NP rangers today. He was a pleasure to chat with and we greatly appreciate the job that he and the rest of the NP staff at AI does for all of us.

Tuesday-
Pretty much the same as Monday only we left a little earlier since some thunderstorms started to roll in. The conditions and the fishing were about the same except the sky was much clearer and it was even hotter.

Wednesday-
Some showers/thunderstorms moving through in the morning didn't place us in any hurry to get out. Lightning and 10" to 12' surf rods do not mix! We eventually did venture out around noon. We decided to fish the Va. portion of the island. Of course we tried to set-up at the very end of the open protion of the beach, but still had to deal with a few swimmers.

For whatever reason, I can't seem to figure out way when people see you throwing 5oz of lead out with hooks attached, they decide that they have to swim in the water right in front of you. I'd hate to see the results of 5oz of lead going +50mph hitting someone if the line would happen to break.
Anyway, enough of that rant.

The fishing was pretty much the same as it was the previous two days...a bunch of kingfish and croakers. We didn't stay until dark since there looked to be another round of thunderstorms moving in.

There were a few sharks being caught at night and a couple of flounder during the day for those fishing for them. All in all it was hot, sticky, and a great place to give blood this time of the year. Another couple of months and the real fishing should start to pick up again.

Come on September!!!!
Life is not a guided tour, but a journey
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: MD. and Va. portions of AI 4th of July wk
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Great report Jack!  Sounds like a lot of fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.