FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night crawler capture  (Read 19880 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Night crawler capture
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2005, 12:39 PM »
sphagnum moss works even better as a worm bedding.

bigdave1018

« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2005, 03:25 PM »
try and water your crawlers every few days. just take a handful of bedding and see if its wet enough. if you do water them ,DONT use chlorinated water only well water or rain water. the worms will thank you. another good tip when you put the worms in, make sure that there are no half or dead ones because 1 dead worm can wipe out all your worms. i use to put a sheet of newspaper on top then put the new worms onto the paper. the live healthy ones will move into the bedding from the sides leaving the dead bad ones on the paper. hope this helps, big dave out.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2006, 01:24 AM »
I have heard from an experienced source that you can mix up ordinary dish detergent with water and dump it on the ground where you know that there is night crawlers.  I guess they dont like the soap and it forces them out of the ground.  It is cheating I know but at least you dont have to wait for rains and go searching at night.  Havent tried it myself but thought you guys/ gals might like to know this.

Works with the foul mouth variety  ;D

brookiebandit13

• Bring on the bite!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:35 PM »
IF this old wivesd tale works it may be worth while. I can tell you in the spring

Brookie Bandit

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Whoho, This is a good one, he is fightin good, here he comes ------- SNAP!!!

reubenpa

« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:52 PM »
I was out a couple nights ago andgot about 4 doz in 20 min or so argh I Want ice
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Zorros shack

• This account is closed.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:30 PM »
 ??? Is it easy to go and just buy worms?

reubenpa

« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2007, 04:34 PM »
at 2.75 for two dozen and thats the cheap place... it is way easier to go get em myself.. I have gotten 20 doz in 45 min....bigger crawlers than the shop has
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:05 PM »
at 2.75 for two dozen and thats the cheap place... it is way easier to go get em myself.. I have gotten 20 doz in 45 min....bigger crawlers than the shop has

Id definetly go with his method. Id say I easily go through a 50 dozen crawlers throught the couse of the season thats about 125$ saved in my pocket :D

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:34 PM »
I lay the hose in my garden and let it run. I can pick all the crawlers I want in a couple hours.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Skeeder II

• Empty Hook
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2007, 08:40 PM »
try and water your crawlers every few days. just take a handful of bedding and see if its wet enough. if you do water them ,DONT use chlorinated water only well water or rain water. the worms will thank you. another good tip when you put the worms in, make sure that there are no half or dead ones because 1 dead worm can wipe out all your worms. i use to put a sheet of newspaper on top then put the new worms onto the paper. the live healthy ones will move into the bedding from the sides leaving the dead bad ones on the paper. hope this helps, big dave out.
I throw a piece of carpet over my crawler bed and water it down. Really helps to hold moisture.  I have lost all my crawlers to skunk,garder snake,and ants. Oh yes also coons love them.

rockhound57

• can't wait to fish
« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2007, 04:22 PM »
 ???I don't follow completely. do the dish soap and electricity work in daylight [anytime]??????

Around here, I've been told the groundskeepers at the golf courses will arrest survivors caught trespassing; something about damaging their precious greens when they're wet and soft ::) ::) :'( :tipup:
Too Soon Old - Too Late Smart!

Walltrout

• Drowning in beer would be like heaven, eh?
« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:05 PM »
???I don't follow completely. do the dish soap and electricity work in daylight [anytime]??????

Around here, I've been told the groundskeepers at the golf courses will arrest survivors caught trespassing; something about damaging their precious greens when they're wet and soft ::) ::) :'( :tipup:

I think the electricity will work anytime.  Not sure about the soap.

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

nyr114

« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:33 PM »
I prefer the method of sticking a pitchfork in the ground and shaking it back and forth at
a steady pace. I collect about 60 to 80 worms in a couple of minutes. It doesn't matter
if it has rained or not. 

Walltrout

• Drowning in beer would be like heaven, eh?
« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:44 PM »
I prefer the method of sticking a pitchfork in the ground and shaking it back and forth at
a steady pace. I collect about 60 to 80 worms in a couple of minutes. It doesn't matter
if it has rained or not. 

Never heard of that one before.  I have heard banging on a piece of wood with a hammer will cause worms to rise from the vibrations. Tried it once and never had much luck.  What causes them to rise with the ppitchfork method?

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #44 on: Jun 27, 2008, 09:56 PM »
sounds like a lot of bubble blowing is gonna happen.
hard core fanatic!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.