FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake- Walleye Population Doing Good...  (Read 3191 times)

FishDeepCreek

• Happiness Is A Jumbo Panfish!
Deep Creek Lake- Walleye Population Doing Good...
« on: Oct 27, 2004, 06:24 PM »
An intresting statement from Marylands DNR fishing report for this week concerning the walleye population in Deep Creek Lake:

After dark, we conducted the walleye young of year (YOY) survey to determine this year's spawning success. It was an amazing - we calculated a catch per unit of electro-fishing effort of 262 YOY walleye per hour - the highest number ever-recorded in Deep Creek Lake! These six-inch fish should reach legal size (15 inches) in about 4 years and should provide some outstanding walleye fishing.

This year has been a great year for walleye fishing,we really boated a good number of them, hopefully it will continue on for the upcoming ice season!...... FDC.

mr._freeze

Re: Deep Creek Lake- Walleye Population Doing Good...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Bring on the cold!! Seems like the walleye fishery is improving all over. Deep Creek, the Potomac and from what I hear Liberty is loaded with them. I can't waite to start drilling some holes at Deep Creek though!!

FLAG

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2004, 01:21 PM »
Is Deep Creek Lake located near Oakland???

I used to go there when I was in The Navy. A friend of mine lives in Oakland.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2004, 04:18 PM »
Is Deep Creek Lake located near Oakland???

I used to go there when I was in The Navy. A friend of mine lives in Oakland.

Flag, you are correct.  Oakland isn't too far away!

FishDeepCreek

• Happiness Is A Jumbo Panfish!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2004, 06:17 AM »
Yes most of the South end of the lake is considered Oakland. The walleyes do seem to be in an upward cycle, in that more being caught. In the last 10 years or less many anglera considered it to be slower (for walleyes) then in days of the past. I believe  I read somewhere that spawning amd angling success cycles on the lake for walleyes. Many used to consider Deep Creek on of the Top walleye waters in the east. From what I hear, as Mr Freeze said, that the upper potomac is fats becoming a hot spot for 'eyes. The DNR has been at work there introducing fish into the water there. Its good to see some focus on other species from the DNR.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.