FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: potomac river  (Read 4093 times)

bassfreak101

potomac river
« on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:09 PM »
i have a tournament may 12 on the lower potomac.HELP.

Jig_Head

Re: potomac river
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Haha mike icanelli did an episode of city limits fishing there a couple years ago, u should check it out. thats the only time ive seen the river, looks like a place id wanna visit tho.   Good luck in the tourny!

chimo

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Lower Potomac is a pretty big area...  From what I know (not much) be prepared to fish the tides, moving water and areas / times of current.

SpaceGhost

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Hi Maryland fishing brothers! Bassfreak101 is a teenage buddy of mine through facebook and BASS. Hes doing bass tournaments this year and each tourney is on a different body of water as you well know. Hes interested in learning about each lake/river leading up to his tournaments and i suggested that he come to the MFF and look to the experienced anglers in his tourney areas. Any help any of you give him will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, SpaceGhost~

Houligan

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Insert Quote
i have a tournament may 12 on the lower potomac.HELP.

Hi,

Might want to be a little more specific. If your looking for an exact place to go and what to use there is no better teacher than getting on the water and experiencing hookups. If you are going to be a tournament fisherman you will need to learn this. Getting a hot tip will only possibly land you success as long as the tips don't stop coming.

Used to fish there on the RedMan circuit. It was a mixed bag on baits/lures and depending on the tide/time of year. Not sure on the grass situation these days but it used to be the ticket and grass with a piece of wood was a plus. Depending on where the tournament is launched from and how much you know about the river is going to be important.

Spinner baits and cranks can be very productive. I usually liked to wake the spinner bait running it as close to the surface as possible with gold Tennessee diamond blades and a white trailer, the split tail kind not curly tail. Rattle traps also were a good locator bait. Learning to pick your way around the grass is going to be key. Not all grass is created equal. On some of the larger grass flats it can be just a subtle change in depth (6" to 1') but you need to let the fish tell you what they want. An old school bait would be a Kalin's 3 - 4" bluegill grub.

There are so many new baits to fish grass with these days just pick one and start to experiment. Don't rule out the main channel and deeper fish also but beware of stripers. If you get into them the bass catching will be hard.

When that tide gets slack you are going to have to figure out a plan on that also, they will move/turn off on ya but you still can catch fish by having a plan for every tide change/condition. Some tides are higher/lower than others, STUDY THE CHARTS AND FISH, FISH, FISH. That place can change by the minute.

I have given you very basic information, as a tournament fisherman you will have to be able to take information no matter how basic and learn to expand upon that creating your own knowledge.

Good Luck!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.