FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chasing bows and grinnin down grizzly- with pix:  (Read 3506 times)

ianwuzhere

Chasing bows and grinnin down grizzly- with pix:
« on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:52 AM »

Strapped on my fly rod and loaded up my inflatable boat early this mornin on my bike in search of some remote lakes to fish.

After scouting out a few nice looking little lakes i settle on one remote lake and gear up.. The fishing was great, with over 20 bows to the boat. Biggest was 19" range- and the fish were well above average size for the lakes in the area.

Many of the trout had a very piscivorous looking mouth and they fought hard.

I loved the colors some of them had- this one had awesome spots, especially on its gills:

It was about 3pm and i was ready to try another location and had put three of the worst hooked bows on the stringer and had just launched my boat back at shore and my batteries were dying so was able to snap a pic of the stringer:

ianwuzhere

Re: Chasing bows and grinnin down grizzly- with pix:
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2012, 02:55 AM »
I was in the middle of cleaning the fish when i turned around and there was a grizzly wandering right towards me about a pickup length away! I jumped up and started yelling and waving my arms and he stopped and just stared at me with his nose in the air waving his head side to side.. He just stood his ground and i continued to yell as loud as i could. With my back to the lake i had really nowhere to go and with nothing more then a 3" long pocket knife i was feeling like this big headed lanky grizzly wasnt going to be going anywhere unless his belly was full. I had a route into the lake quickly scoped out that i was going to take any second if he took one step closer..
As stubborn as i am i didnt want to give him the fish cuz then he would really not want to leave. So i grabbed a big rock- prolly 3 pounds and fired it at him and it hit him in the shoulder and that woke him up and he humped up and ran about 30 feet into the bush.

Im still yelling (negotiations were over) and i make my way towards where he was just standing and head to where my bike is parked. I start my bike and start reving it up while pressing my air horn. I then realize that noone knows where i am so i grab my spot messenger and turn it on, and while its spooling up i start to unload all my gear from the shore to the bike.
Then i see him pop back out of the bushes not far away, grab my camera and surprisingly the low battery message is not on now and took a couple pix:

I kept throwing rocks/sticks and back n forth to my bike from the shore gathering my things and now was able to send a "checking in" msg with my spot which made me feel that at least if i do get eaten someone will know where i once was..
The griz kept walking around side to side in the bush and went down wind of me towards where i just came from on the lakes edge. When i would throw rocks at him to deter him the water would splash at him and make him nervous and hump up as if i was shooting him with a bb gun...

He circled back to where he just was and i was almost ready to fire all my gear on the bike and high tail it out of there:

So i loosely strapped on my boat and gear, waited till he got off the road so i could get out and holding down my air horn ripped by him..~adios!

Definately was a time where a gun woulda made me feel much safer..

ianwuzhere

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2012, 03:00 AM »
So then i tried another spot and caught quite a few small bows with some nice colors:

This one had some crazy green color to him:

Then as i was reeling in trout i got dive bombed by an eagle. It wanted my fish too! ***censored****???
Every time a fish would splash and jump out of the water this eagle would swoop down right above me in full force.. Had a 5+ foot wing span.

It would just sit in a nearby tree and watch me catch fish:

Here it is with a small 10-12" bow in its talons (fish looks like its 3" long)

Wing span is as wide as a pickup track on the road:

Then i started thinking- What doesnt eat fish??? Even fish eat fish...

Was a good day for a ride and some fishin.

Saw lots of animals along the way- heres a couple lil bucks taking off:

Coulda got some real neat pix today of the eagle or of the griz when it was super close- if i wasnt more worried about scaring him away and getting my crap together..

Hope everyone had a fun Canada day!

Cheerz

~ianwuzhere~

beantownfan

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2012, 06:22 AM »
Awesome Post !!!!!! That bear would have scared the crap out of me...

waterwolf603

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2012, 07:16 AM »
wow seem like the fishing was awesome thanks for sharing the pics those are pretty cool, I love seing wildlife when out
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

IseDeBy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2012, 03:43 PM »
 8)   Awee  .........  what a cute little fuzzy bear.     He wouldent hurt a fly.   He was just curious   ;)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2012, 01:43 AM »
Holly heck, that would have scared me to see that grizzly that close. :o
Good go going on not loosing your cool and making the mistake and running.

Great wildlife photos, including the bear, eagle and the trout you caught. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.