FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Easy Troller Trolling Plate  (Read 8044 times)

chi

Easy Troller Trolling Plate
« on: Jul 11, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I've been reading many good reviews about the easy troller plate, most of the reviewers say  they cut a notch in the plate which brings the plate up to a 45 degree angle for improved performance, if anyone has info and could provide a picture of this I'd very much appreciate this. Want to make sure I cut the notch in the correct place.

Thank You

dreamcatcher310

Re: Easy Troller Trolling Plate
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I've been reading many good reviews about the easy troller plate, most of the reviewers say  they cut a notch in the plate which brings the plate up to a 45 degree angle for improved performance, if anyone has info and could provide a picture of this I'd very much appreciate this. Want to make sure I cut the notch in the correct place.

Thank You

Make sure you don't mount it too close to the prop. I have one that came on the motor when I bought it second hand and it was mounted too close and stalled out the engine because of exhaust issues from the prop. Talked to some guys on here and one suggested cutting a hole in the plate so exhaust can escape thus not causing the stall. I haven't done this yet, so I'll let ya know how it goes. Have not heard about cutting a notch though.. in the bottom so maybe prop wash pushes it up? Is that what you mean?

chi

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2011, 05:34 AM »
Make sure you don't mount it too close to the prop. I have one that came on the motor when I bought it second hand and it was mounted too close and stalled out the engine because of exhaust issues from the prop. Talked to some guys on here and one suggested cutting a hole in the plate so exhaust can escape thus not causing the stall. I haven't done this yet, so I'll let ya know how it goes. Have not heard about cutting a notch though.. in the bottom so maybe prop wash pushes it up? Is that what you mean?
not totally sure where to put the notch that most of the reviewers mentioned, that's why I'm hoping to get a picture of a plate with the notch cut out, I'm sure that would make it clear. If you check out the plate on the cabela's web site and read the reviews maybe your understand it. First boat for me, never heard the term prop wash before. ( rookie  :-\ )
     Thanks for the come back
           Chi

Turnbuckle

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:25 AM »
The plate comes with 2 notches from the factory. Full out/unengaged and full down/engaged. Mirror the notch size for those and make one in the middle of the two to split the difference for more adjustability at 45 degrees. 

At the full down, I can troll to .4-.8 mph with my 50hp Honda 4 stoke carb. Middle notch, 1.0-2.0 or so, and the boat itself without the plate engaged can get around 2.0 depending on the wind. Frig dragging buckets.

I’ll take a picture if I have the time. It’s pretty self explanatory.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

dreamcatcher310

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:53 AM »
The plate comes with 2 notches from the factory. Full out/unengaged and full down/engaged. Mirror the notch size for those and make one in the middle of the two to split the difference for more adjustability at 45 degrees. 

At the full down, I can troll to .4-.8 mph with my 50hp Honda 4 stoke carb. Middle notch, 1.0-2.0 or so, and the boat itself without the plate engaged can get around 2.0 depending on the wind. Frig dragging buckets.

A pic would be awesome! I'm curious about cutting a middle notch as well, heard a lot about it but I don't understand it?

chi

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2011, 02:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, if you can get send a Pic that would be helpful.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:27 PM »

It's in the fully shut trolling mode as the plate is down as it's the only way it will fit in my garage. Next tab that was created will make the plate angle out at a 45 degree angle. Next tab is completely flat for high speed cruising.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

chi

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:44 AM »

It's in the fully shut trolling mode as the plate is down as it's the only way it will fit in my garage. Next tab that was created will make the plate angle out at a 45 degree angle. Next tab is completely flat for high speed cruising.
okay I got it, thanks TB. (Good Picture)

er-e-is

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I have the Easy Troll on my motor, a 60HP Mercury 4 Stroke. I love it and never heard about notching it but I am probably going to look into doing it to mine. I can see where a 45° setting could allow more and better boat control.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.