FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lead Core Wizdom Wanted...  (Read 6003 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Lead Core Wizdom Wanted...
« on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Alright.... I got a Okuma Dead Eye leadcore rod, a Shimano Tekota, and 100 yards of 18lb Woodstock lead core line.

I terminated it with the "willis knot" I found on youtube, that seems to work well.

I can already tell this stuff will not behave like anything else I have ever used and I wondering what kind of trouble I am gonna have with it. No one I know has used this stuff before so I have no idea what I am in for! any tips or tricks even basic elementary stuff is very welcome because I am a total n00b with this stuff

I plan on using it to get shad raps down about 35 feet to some bottom hugging walleye.

How long of a leader do I use? I was thinking of 10' of hard fluro leader material..

Like I said, N00B! ;D

beerbellybob106

Re: Lead Core Wizdom Wanted...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2012, 10:00 AM »
i love leadcore for walleyes in the summer. i use a barrel swivel at the end of lead line then use 10lbs fluro line about 10 ft will do with a leader. generally the line will sink 1ft down for every 3ft out or 10ft down for every color you have out. those can change those depending on lures, speed, etc.. it  will just take a little experimenting to get used to what depth it will be running but once you get use to using it you will love it

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I like long leaders. 50-100 feet. The further away from the lead line the better for me.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Grandlaker21

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I use a Shimano Tekota 600LC ,with 100 Yd 20Lb Power Pro Backing,10 Colors of Cabelas 12 Lb Leadcore ,and 75 feet of Cabelas Flourocarbon #10 Lb leader. All joined with small SPRO Barrel swivels.I usually use a M-ML rod  Cabelas also designed for Leadcore.The 5 footer is nice and Compact.
You don't know what you don't know.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2013, 05:34 PM »
As an update.... It worked fine.

I had a couple break offs from dragging it on the rocks, but I hooked up with allot more trout than I'm used to!

The willis knot worked perfectly.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Skipper, I used this knot to connect the mono to the lead core as it is small and works great. You might want to give it a try.   http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=knots+for+lead+core&mid=352B290810767744BD28352B290810767744BD28&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Yeah.. that is the one I used. The guys running a swivel through their guides are missing the boat on this one!

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Hey Skipper, cool connection........ there's been some interest in musky circles in attaching fluorocarbon leaders to superlines. One product, Power Pro Hollow Ace is similar in construction to your lead core. A MN guy named Bob Turgeon introduced me to this. Here's the quickest video I could find with the connection, it works on the Chinese finger trap principle with a little help from some Super Glue and a Uni knot.

Check it out: http://www.fishwire.net/fingertrap-your-top-shot-with-powerpros-hollow-ace/

I'll be running this for some muskies this year and I may find my way to Little Bay de Noc in the fall for walleyes.........

Dude, if you're running a swivel thru your guides you need bigger swivels!  :D No kidding, I had a guy come into the shop once looking for BIG swivels for that very reason.............

Keep 'em tight!

/m

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.