FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lake of the woods disaster  (Read 3295 times)

2fish4ever

lake of the woods disaster
« on: Apr 24, 2005, 02:20 PM »
please take a look at this.sorry i don't know how to make it a hyper link.http://www.justfishontario.com/_disc23/0000021e.htm

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: lake of the woods disaster
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I am unable to view this. Please explain what the disaster was.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

grumpymoe

fishncamp

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2005, 08:12 PM »

Hood

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:27 AM »
40,000 pounds a week? Do recreational fisherman as a whole catch that much in an entire season? Daaamn, I dont live anywhere near there but thats a travesty that needs some liberation.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

wpgsteve

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Sadly I bet nothing happens. At most, the gov will spend a few million of our tax $$ just to see whats going on and burn time - but by then all the fish will be gone and it wont be a issue anymore because,  no fish = no commercial fishing.

need2fish

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2005, 09:57 AM »
Is there a petition to sign?  The lodge owners from lake of the woods should get together and hire a lawyer to put an end to this before it is too late.  If need be they could sue the Ontario government for the profit losses that they will undoubtedly see in the near future unless this stops.  Sometimes the only thing that gets peoples attention is money.  Unfortunately lawsuits take time and time is a luxury that we don't have.
If it can\\\'t get done outdoors, it isn\\\'t going to get done!

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2005, 10:41 AM »
This blatant disrespect for such a beautiful lake and resource was first raised last year by Gord Pusnik along with pics of wanton waste on Lake of the Woods....the issue was huge and the response was massive...yet....little if anything was done....no one wants to confront the netters....but when one openly brags about pulling his entire quota from one lake alone....it tells you they have no concern whatsoever for the future of the lake or the fishery....typical of what i have learned to expect....and when the issue becomes front page or in some kind of headline....the first thing they cry is persecution of their aboriginal rights....Gord Pyzer is a very knowleagable biologist/fisherman/conservationist that knows exactly what he is talking about....does anyone else care???...sure hope so...Grump >:(

need2fish

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Everybody that cares about the future of lake of the woods should take the time to send the Ontario minister of natural resources David Ramsay a letter.  Sorry I can't find his email address from here.  If somebody at home can find it great, post it here.  It certainly doesn't hurt to try and it only takes a few minutes to write and send one.

wpgsteve

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:30 AM »
CONTACT INFO
David Ramsay
Ministry of Natural Resources
Room 6630, Whitney Block
Toronto, ON, M7A 1W3
416-314-2301
Fax: 416-314-2216

Constituency Office
29 Duncan Ave
Kirkland Lake, ON, P2N 1X5
705-567-4650
Fax: 705-567-4280

Email: [email protected]

need2fish

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Thanks wpgsteve.  There you have it everybody, let him hear how disgusted and concerned you are.  The more the merrier.

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Just thought I would update everyone here....I sent an email to the minister's office this morning voicing my concerns about the fishery. I just received an email requesting my mailing address as well as my telephone number. It also stated that my email would be forwarded IMMEDIATELY to the minister's office in Toronto....hope we can get something going here....Grump

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2005, 03:43 PM »
Grump that is friggin awesome! I sure would love to help in this but I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most knowledgable guy on  laws and treaties and all that stuff I hate to see this happen anywhere and LOTW is NOT the only place where this kind of thing is happening it happens on lake manitoba with the walleye's and last year a native lady was trying to sell walleye that was netted from lake dauphin at work >:( (she was confronted and was told if she tried it again the cops would be notified) What can a guy like me  do to help??

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2005, 04:02 PM »
TH.....anything you do is appreciated....as long as its addressing the future of the fisheries  for sportsanglers AND the commercial aspect. What we dont need is blatant overharvesting, especially as the article mentioned pulling ALL his quotas from one lake. Your voice will be heard by voicing support for the resource and emailing the minister at the address provided above.  Grump

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Well I have said it  many times before. This is BS. Pull the d**n nets.  If enough anglers got together it can be done.  I am sending off my email now.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.