FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lead core question!  (Read 20189 times)

biga3

Lead core question!
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:56 AM »
What kind of backing should I use for my lead core rod?  Does leadcore stretch like ?  The reason I ask is to decide which material I can use for leader.  If the core has a little stretch than I can use fluorocarbon for a leader correct? Thanks,  biga3

Sluggo / NY

Re: Lead core question!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Lead core has no stretch. What you use for leader depends on what you're fishing for and what type of rod you're using. I fish for big water walleye.. mainly Lake Erie.. and use fluorocarbon for leader material. But I use long, soft tipped rods to absorb those big head shakes. For more violent fighters, like salmon or trout, I'd stick with mono to add a bit more give to the system. As for backing.. I like mono over braid because it holds better in the releases when I'm running off boards and it's easier to attach to lead core. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

biga3

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Lead core has no stretch. What you use for leader depends on what you're fishing for and what type of rod you're using. I fish for big water walleye.. mainly Lake Erie.. and use fluorocarbon for leader material. But I use long, soft tipped rods to absorb those big head shakes. For more violent fighters, like salmon or trout, I'd stick with mono to add a bit more give to the system. As for backing.. I like mono over braid because it holds better in the releases when I'm running off boards and it's easier to attach to lead core. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
I am a bit confused...you say the mono backing holds better in the boards...do you just run a few colors then switch to your mono?   If you had ten colors on your reel then mono and you clipped the board to your mono backing you would be extremely deep right?  So do you have a few rods set up for certain depths with just the right amount of core on them for the depth you want to fish and you are clipped into your backing? Thanks,  Andy

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Andy.. Ten colors of core would put you about 50' down. I seldom run that deep with my leadcore, but if I want to get deep, I just clip a 3 oz. snapweight on the backer where it's attached and let out the appropriate amount to get where I want. I have four rods rigged with leadcore.. two 3 color and two five color. For a full 10 color with backing you need a monster reel. A buddy of mine does run segmented core, but I don't mess with it. I actually seem to do better with my dipsy program and seldom run much leadcore anymore. But.. now with the 3 rod rule.. I'll probably be using them more. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

fishingjason

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Interesting.
I know almost nothing about trolling. It's amazing how many variations there are for lead core alone.

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Interesting.
I know almost nothing about trolling. It's amazing how many variations there are for lead core alone.
Yep.. Then you get into dipsy divers and slide divers and jet divers on braid and wire. Of course there's the in-line boards and the big boards and mast setup.. And the downriggers. My wife still doesn't understand why I have twenty trolling rods and reels lined up in my garage. (My other rigs are down in my workroom). Good fishing, Sluggo (Chris

TroyTMG

• "polartippah" on the Shanty
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2013, 04:04 PM »
What kind of backing should I use for my lead core rod?  Does leadcore stretch like ?  The reason I ask is to decide which material I can use for leader.  If the core has a little stretch than I can use fluorocarbon for a leader correct? Thanks,  biga3
I use fly line backing with my lead core setups and always use a leader material that is a lighter pound test than the lead core to make sure that it will break 1st in case of hang ups.  I troll bottom often.  There are some informative videos on Youtube on how to tie knots in leadcore also.

muskyfan51

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Ive always used a bit of fluoro directly on the reel, if you don't after a while the line will dry up and slip on the reel. just my .02
When in doubt just go fishing.....

Ice Dawg

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:28 AM »
I use 20 lb mono for backing, 18 lb lead core, and 10 to 15 lb mono for my leader depending on the area I'm fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

wellsley

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Andy.. Ten colors of core would put you about 50' down. I seldom run that deep with my leadcore, but if I want to get deep, I just clip a 3 oz. snapweight on the backer where it's attached and let out the appropriate amount to get where I want. I have four rods rigged with leadcore.. two 3 color and two five color. For a full 10 color with backing you need a monster reel. A buddy of mine does run segmented core, but I don't mess with it. I actually seem to do better with my dipsy program and seldom run much leadcore anymore. But.. now with the 3 rod rule.. I'll probably be using them more. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I agree with Chris with using 3 to 5 colors. I use 20' of fluorocarbon leader and use 50lb braid for a backer. The main reason for the braid is so I can get more on the reel. Like Chris said if you were to use 10 colors you'd need a monster reel.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.