FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winter Lure Hobby  (Read 12440 times)

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
Winter Lure Hobby
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:29 AM »
So I have been slowly ordering stuff to get ready to outfit my boat this spring.  Part of my lure collection I have been stocking up on stuff to make my own custom lures....something I have always wanted to do...I bought a bunch of 9-12 foot diver stick baits to start.  All said and done I will have about $2.00 into each lure...Every experiment I get a little better, I am very happy with a few of them...

"Fighting Irish"

The Cannibal...I'm gonna dip the tail in glow paint to look exactly like a baby eye

The Seachicken

Blood Money

Tiger Shark

Troy's Silver Bullet

I need to find a nice clear coat to make them really look glossy to finish...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

whistlepig

Re: Winter Lure Hobby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:07 PM »
They look like they are going to be fish catchers!!!

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:06 PM »
There fish catchers for sure here a tip for you get some automotive masking tape the green kind the blue painter tape is not sticky enough for air brushing etc and tend to leave over spray...  as for clears there is a new krylon Paint out there it is a nice finish I see If I can find the can and get back with you...also they got air brushes at harbor freight for like last looked $20 +20% off with coupon... any how they look awesome you need to add dots? Try a paper hole puncher. In the center of a base ball or playing card.. mask a little wider then the card and use the card as a shield so not to get paint on the rest of the lure ... also can cut patterns into the cards like the stripe on red and white spoon or even tape a fish net to the card to make scale patterns like cut the center of the card out and use it to stretch the fish nets.. can even vee the edge for perch baring so many uses for a deck of playing cards... there so much out there might want to read some books at the library or rent some library videos .. but at least your enjoying it and it coming out good.. and for sure those are fishable...another trick I learn in school is to start the paint off the lure and wile moving... move it over the lure  prevents a sudden build up of paint on the  object being painted when you first push down and  then don't move by accident and cause a drip or sag etc.. .. did a little auto body in college lol's and try to keep your arms moving cause as soon as they stop paint will build up and you will get runs  or sags in the paint.. light coats do wonders... sharp edges from tape don't fade in to the rest of the body leave a sharp edge to look at...  very nice lures keep the pictures coming...

krylon fusion clear gloss is the brand....

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Very nice job.
I also noticed you started using rubber gloves after a bit into things.

Kinda like hitting your thumb with a hammer.
You only do it once.............or twice.
Before you use pliers or get someone else to hold the nail.
 ;D

Seriously, they really look great.
Keep us posted on how you do out on the water with them.

Mac

Huntny30

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Thanks guys and great tips...I'll do up a couple more tomorrow...!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:57 PM »
I'll do up a couple more tomorrow...!

great to hear!

Huntny30

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Thanks for the info on the gloss!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Well at least you discovered gloves ;D

They look pretty darned edible! Nothing like a good winter hobby.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Huntny30

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Lol...Hey I'm trainable!   ;D

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:53 PM »
if you do go and decide to get a air brush watch what paint you buy I am having a hard time with createx colors water born or water based paint if you will stick with some thing that has a thinner I have been finding I need a better clear for the water based paints the clear is not thick enough and bubbles or festers cause water penetrates  regular paint that are thinned or solvent based don't have a problem with that clear coat .. the stuff I use is house of color candy and base colors for painting my lures but again it's a harsh solvent based paint. and has good flash time or dry time and can be layered in less then 20 minutes with the reducers or thinners I use... might also want to look in to a p95 particulate mask.. with a charcoal filter this should even be used with rattle cans keeps the over spray out of your lungs and from causing problems later on...  like I was saying if you need any help just ask...

Huntny30

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Thanks for all the info!

Huntny30

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I did up this Green/Blue Silver spray today and I did a couple Black / Silver

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:54 PM »
those are fricken awesome! love black and silver I fish it all the time to!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:17 PM »
You'll be beating up on Freddy and the boys with those. I like black and silver too. Perch colors should be next :whistling:

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Huntny30

« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Thanks guys, the two I will most likely use the most are Black and Gold and Black and Silver...those by far have come out the best...I have a few other combinations I am going to try but the natural colors seem to work best most of the time in the clear waters...I can't wait to get the new boat ready!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.