FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brown location  (Read 4635 times)

TroutFishingBear

Brown location
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:40 AM »
The CDOW (Colorado Division of Wildlife) says that "the big browns hang in the deep, sandy areas, whereas the rainbows are in the fast, rocky areas" ( of a river)
In my experience on several rivers, the best ones in the state in fact, I have found this, yet again, to be false. It is exactly the opposite. Below where the roaring fork goes into the colorado, the last 2 years, I have  catalouged my data. Around 80% of the trout in these slower, less rocky, more sandy areas, have been rainbows. According to the CDOW it would be browns.

Above where the Roaring fork goes into the colorado, it is a rocky canyon.The water is also very quick in a lot of spots.The fish in these areas have been 58% browns in the last 2 years.

To prove that the fork is not dumping in excessive rainbows into the colorado, the biomass of the fork, according to CDOW, is 55% browns, 45% rainbows.

My reasoning for this is because the rainbows are fat (very fat) and lazy and they eat suckers, which are slow moving for the rainbows. Since suckers like only slow,  sandy areas, the rainbows fallow.

The browns like to eat a baitfish called a mottle sculpin(sp) and these are teeny baitfish that like rocks, so the browns follow.

As you can see, the old theory of rainbows in the fast area and browns in the sandy area has been proven false due to my data of thousands of fish, and to each fish's niche in the rivers.

My point in writing this post is to inform that, if you are in search of browns in rivers, look for rocky areas that have some current. rocky runs seem to be the best.

If you are looking for rainbows, look for the deep, slow holes that have sand.

If anyone disagrees, I want them to prove their theory to me, and I want them to use solid proof.
Note: I will not be mean or disagree, it is just my 2 cents, that is all.

TroutFishingBear

Re: Brown location
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:42 AM »
To prove that the fork is not dumping in excessive rainbows into the colorado, the biomass of the fork, according to CDOW, is 55% browns, 45% rainbows.

This stat is what a biologist told me when I asked him, they have not came out and said it publicly.

icefishnh

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:41 PM »
tfb, what baits do you use for browns in the rapids and bows in the slow?
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:02 PM »
I bounce worms across the bottom on the current edge for both, and if there is little current like in some big holes, cast out at a 45 degree angle, let it sink to the bottom, and real it in slowly with some pauses. set the hook immediately when they hit.

The browns will go tap-tap-tap really quickly

The rainbows will either take off with it, or will go tap.......tap slowly

I can tell what kind of trout it is by the hit.

use 4 lb test, 1-2 water gremlin sinkers (alternate depending on current), use a #6 eagle claw bait holder (size 8 they swallow 1 out of 10 times, size 6 maybe 1 out of 100, if not more.)

JasonN

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2004, 12:05 AM »
It's certainly not a universal rule, and exceptions abound, but in general rainbows are more likely to be found in fast water without overhead cover, and brows are more likely to be in slow water under some kind of cover.  There's a lot of overlap and all kinds of exceptions for various reasons in various places, but I've found that the broad trend is noticeable.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2004, 02:44 PM »
where do you live jason?

In colorado, idaho, wyoming, montana, and utah my statements are always true. (those are the only states I've fished in.)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:23 PM »
I have a lot of experience fishing large western rivers from the Snohomish and Stillaguimish in Washington, the Snake in Idaho, The Green in Wyoming and Utah, and of course the Colorado, Gunnison, San Juan, and Roaring Fork Rivers in Colorado.
I have to agree with TroutFishingBear. You will find more rainbows than browns in large, slow pools, and more browns than rainbows in rocky, faster areas. I could never understand why anyone ever thought it was the opposite. For example, if I am fishing a faster run with rocks, I might catch all browns, with the OCCASIONAL RAINBOW. Then if I fish a pool, it's not uncommon to catch all rainbows. And we are talking every river I have fished.
And I generally catch a lot of fish when I'm bouncing a worm a long the bottom. Some rivers I have a 40 trout average. Each of these rivers have proven the same. And it doesn't seem to matter what is used. If you fish flies or lures, it still seems to be the same results regarding where the rainbows and browns are. Most other anglers I see agree with me.
My sampling by angling just shows that rainbows are far more likely to be found in deep holes, while browns like rockier areas with more current.
I also do not buy that browns are smarter or harder to catch. They are usually easier and more abundant than rainbows. And I mean both big and small browns.

Tyler

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:54 AM »
I have been an avid Brown Trout fisherman in Up-state ny for many years and I can tell you this, browns will hold anywhere they feel like it... I have seen them in fast water with sand on the bottom and slow water with rocks on the bottom.. I have even seen them holding with rainbows in a medium flow water with sand and rocks on the bottom.. Trout are oportunistic feeders that like cover....Another thing to remember is when browns reach the 12-14nch mark they will change their diet to feeding on nothing but baitfish or they will feed on nothing but nymphs and insects which is why we all catch them in diferent areas..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.