FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bandits Caught In The Act!  (Read 7739 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Bandits Caught In The Act!
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Finally caught the little rat that's been stealing my tomatoes. Red handed........so to speak ;D

He only ate a few, but he's been trying to eat his way into the birdhouse next to him.

I may just let him have that one. Guess he needs a home for the winter too.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

Re: Bandits Caught In The Act!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Google weasel  box and build one. Bait it with bird seed or his favorite food, maters. Put a #1 muskrat trap in the box and end his thievery.

I got rid of a dozen chip monks that way this summer.  That  little devil will cause more trouble than it is worth. The hides are marketable if you wait until winter.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I have a resident Coopers Hawk that takes care of the excess tree rat population. There's only a couple of reds in the area. Chippies are practically non existent between him and my rat traps. Saw him nail a few this summer. He
Ike's to dine on a big maple stump in the neighbor's yard.

I'm for keeping him fat for the winter.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

LP Steve

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Wow great pictures! He is probably the happiest and healthiest red in your neck of the woods.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2016, 03:02 AM »
Yeah......I hope he gets heartburn ;D

Our back yard is the size of a town park. The block of land borders on a triangle of roads. When it was developed way back when, the center section of it was divided up and included in each home owner's property. The middle is cared for by everyone and has mature maples and pines. It's literally like having a park for our back yard.

Squirrels are a fact of life. I have plans for an obstacle course to test one particularly persistent grey buck that always finds a way to raid my bird feeders. I'll divert his interest and test his squirrel abilities. This guy can jump 6" vertically to get past the 8" stovepipe I have covering my feeder pole and grab onto the post to access the feeder platform. He used to jump from my Weber to the post. I moved it away about a foot a day for a while and had to get it a good 10" away before he wouldn't try to make the jump across to the pole.

I'm going to start him out with a maze and go from there. ;D

Rg

LP Steve

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:46 AM »
An old timer that retired from where I work used to catch them in a cage trap, spray paint their tail with orange marking paint and then let them go at the park up the road from his house! :laugh:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:47 AM »
The have ruined many of my bird house entrance holes only to get inside and find out its to small for them.. And I live in a pine Grove so I have lots of them.. There cutting pine cones right now so you can here them falling on the roof ,the shed,the cars and even the ground right at your feet.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2016, 07:06 AM »
That house is the only one I have in a tree so far. Nothing nested in it this summer. I made the hole 1 1/4" so the sparrows and starlings couldn't get in. He's probably after my tomatoes because there's no walnuts at all in e trees around here. There's a ton of black walnut trees around and no nuts at all. Never seen that before.

They'll be scrounging this winter.
Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:31 AM »
I had put up a martin house for a guy one time. It had been up for a couple of years with no birds. the guy wanted it mover. I was on a ladder removing the house before dropping the pole. I felt something hit my head. A flying squirrel had used my head for a take off strip. It had destroyed the inside of the house including using one chamber for a toilet. NO wonder the birds did not use the house.

We moved the house farther away form the trees. It ended up with birds in it a couple of years later.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2016, 11:00 AM »
That's pretty neat. Saw some flying squirrels while camping in the southern part of NY. Cute little buggers.

Rg

gotabig1

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2016, 12:55 PM »
My grandfather used to offer a bounty on red squirrels. They would chew their way into his Wren houses and kill the chicks.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2016, 03:56 PM »
I'm going to try some of the deer repellent I used around my garden . It's a granular stuff. I think I'll put some in the bottom of the box and see if it works.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:07 PM »
What I do a lot, especially on wren houses with a small hole, is take the door, put a 3x3" or bigger piece of tin in the spot where you want the hole.. Then take a 3x3" or bigger piece  of wood put it over and sandwich it with the pneumatic stapiler..
Then drill your hole.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:47 PM »
That's a great idea. Hope he breaks a tooth ;D

Rg

trophytaker1

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:53 PM »
I put out Juicy Fruit gum to get rid of chipmunks. Seems to get rid of them fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.