FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 152342 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2019
« Reply #810 on: Dec 12, 2020, 05:38 AM »
Decided to add a feeding station to the roost box. Gonna put some chunks of mealworm block in it to try and attract the bluebirds. Don’t know what it’s going to look like just yet. But, something will take shape today.

There was one sitting on top of the nest box post yesterday. It came in to the water dish for a drink. Landed on the seed platform but didn’t eat anything. I put out a couple chunks of the mealworms there as well.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #811 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:40 PM »
All done.

Hope we have some rent free tenants soon. What more could they ask for? A roof over their heads, free food and no responsibilities.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #812 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Marathon couple days in the “little wood shop”. Finishing up a few Christmas presents. More Santa’s, reindeer and Christmas trees. Lots of tiny pieces and paint.

Plan on putting them on a base with a candle.  One for a favorite coworker, one for my Son’s  “significant other “ and a special one for my Bride.

A couple more days and I’m free to be ....creative.....in the shop.

Lord knows what will happen.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #813 on: Dec 14, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Made 3 of these tha last few days.

One for my Bride, my son’s “significant other “ and one for a favorite friend at work.

Love making Christmas gifts. Gives me great satisfaction to see the delight in the gifted’s eyes. Used to get hugs.....sad that these days, we cant enjoy that simple personal contact.

Anyhow, my way of saying, try to enjoy the moment.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #814 on: Dec 14, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Very nice Bob. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

iceman260

« Reply #815 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Nice work Rg , spreading cheer is good during pandemic.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #816 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Took my coworker’s gift in today. It was a big hit. Made my day and hers.

My son asked me to build craft lathe for his mate ( I don’t really know what to call her”.) She’s an extraordinary artist.

She’s been painting wine bottles and needs something to hold them while she works on the piece.

So, I’m building her a craft lathe to hold and turn the bottles or whatever she’s painting.

A different kind of project. Glue is drying on a few pieces....I’m gonna take a nap!

Rg

wallyworld

« Reply #817 on: Dec 15, 2020, 12:57 PM »
My son asked me to build craft lathe for his mate ( I don’t really know what to call her”.) She’s an extraordinary artist.
Rg
Try calling her his partner, or maybe your "bonus" daughter  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #818 on: Dec 15, 2020, 02:33 PM »
Done.

Should work ok.
Tomorrow morning I can clean up the aftermath. The shop is a bit disheveled.

Rg

icefisher47

« Reply #819 on: Dec 16, 2020, 04:20 AM »
Made 3 of these tha last few days.

One for my Bride, my son’s “significant

other “ and one for a favorite friend at work.

Love making Christmas gifts. Gives me great satisfaction to see the delight in the gifted’s eyes. Used to get hugs.....sad that these days, we cant enjoy that simple personal contact.

Anyhow, my way of saying, try to enjoy the moment.

Rg

That is great work.
Take a kid fishing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #820 on: Dec 16, 2020, 05:06 AM »
Thanks.
I’m done with Christmas gifts. Think it’s time to start turning some bobbers.
Rg

iceman260

« Reply #821 on: Dec 16, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Nice gifts Rg you have some real talent,how did you thread wood pieces for the craft lathe.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #822 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:17 AM »
No threads. Both ends are live. With a dowel through nylon bushings. The end on the left side of the pic is movable and locks down via a thumb screw. It has a compression spring behind the neck cup to apply tension, holding the bottle and still allowing the artist to turn it as she works.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #823 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:06 PM »
So ....with Christmas gifts out of the way, it’s time to get on with the bobber project. After a few attempts to hand dip a really nice coat of paint or finish,( total failure) I did some searching. Bumped into a YouTube video where a guy was making reed floats. He contrived a machine for slowly dipping and extracting them from paints and finish. It worked, but it was a cobbled together conglomeration of stuff . Not quite up to my shop standards.

The past week I’ve been pondering a design and today I built it.
&feature=youtu.be

And it works ! The motor is a 2 rpm rotisserie motor my neighbor gave me. The elevator is adjustable for height by reeling in or out of the fishing line. I’ll make a few different bobber holders that will attach to the elevator to accommodate different length bobbers.

This seemed a simple process when I first started fooling around with it. But, as everything with me, I just cant leave well enough alone. I’ve got visions of glass finishes, bright colors, inlaid  feathers and fancy thread wraps.

We’ll see how it goes.

I played around with a motor operated lathe to paint the bobbers and decided it wasn’t the right approach. I converted the lathe end into a hand wheel operated lathe that gives me much more control and will make wrapping a lot easier. I’ll use the motor operated end for a drier to slowly turn the finished bobbers and prevent drips.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #824 on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Did my first test dips with Gesso and a few with Varnish. The dipper works perfectly. Today I’m going to work on mounting a track for a thread carriage I have left over from my rod building days. Should make wrapping a breeze. Still have to work out how to hold the shafts for wrapping without damaging the surfaces. The drill chuck leaves dents and doesn’t accommodate the eye.

Might have to create an insert for the chuck to hold the eye. Or leave the shaft long to cut off later.

I’m off to pick up some larger containers of acrylic paints and to look for a tall narrow glass vessel to dip in.

This is getting to be fun,
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.