FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 146488 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #240 on: Jun 03, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Or a potential gold mine in clientele, depends on how you look at it.

Either way those look delicious.

I guess...only a 12 year investment. However.......they look really good. I happen to have some venison sausage gifted to me by a neighbor. Might have to do some up to throw in with the bullhead and perch.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #241 on: Jun 09, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Today's smoke.

Perch and bullhead. Came out really well. I'll be making some dips from them.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #242 on: Jun 09, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Looks great. Did you brine or just season and smoke?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #243 on: Jun 09, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Very nice Bob...,
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

hookitNcookit

« Reply #244 on: Jun 09, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Wow, who woulda thought! Around here those are the nastiest fish available pretty much. You get a bullhead on the hook its like ***censored**** nasty ass bullhead, major disappointment! To find out people target them and eat them just blows my mind, so i you tubed it and found theres alot of you out there lol! So my question is are those white perch or yellow bandits because yellow perch and bullhead would be like eating filet mignon and beef liver just sayin. Whats the old saying tho dont knock it till you try it!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #245 on: Jun 10, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Looks great. Did you brine or just season and smoke?

I did a brine of water, apple juice, soy sauce, molasses, brown sugar, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. They soaked for about 3 hours or so and really sucked up the brine mixture. They air dried with a nice pellicle.   I cooked at 160 for an hour then 225 for about 40 minutes or so. The perch dried slightly, which is ok, and the bullhead came out tender.

The bullhead is pretty strong and a bit fishy which I kind of expected. The perch are really tasty. I probably won't do bullhead again. But, I'm going to try some bass for sure.

All the fillets were thoroughly frozen prior to smoking. Don't need any critters in my fish or my stomach.

I have a really good dip recipe for the smoked perch. Not sure how the bullhead will be.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #246 on: Jun 10, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Thanks. I like the fillets on the dry side. When I do pike fillets, after they are done I will hold at about 150 Untill they are almost jerky dry. They are a big hit with everyone that has tried them. Time to hit the river to get a couple catfish to try.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #247 on: Jun 10, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Wow, who woulda thought! Around here those are the nastiest fish available pretty much. You get a bullhead on the hook its like ***censored**** nasty ass bullhead, major disappointment! To find out people target them and eat them just blows my mind, so i you tubed it and found theres alot of you out there lol! So my question is are those white perch or yellow bandits because yellow perch and bullhead would be like eating filet mignon and beef liver just sayin. Whats the old saying tho dont knock it till you try it!

Those were yellow perch. The bullhead were from early spring and cold water. I'll eat them any day. Warm water bullhead are pretty muddy and not on my list of fish to eat.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #248 on: Jun 10, 2019, 07:10 AM »
https://heygrillhey.com/jalapeno-bacon-meatballs/?fbclid=IwAR0dWXXXpRC0xZE5ceC16Ix2ak7jQ4Qke8tZFvkoA0Zdi5fFN7cYEd1LuOo

Did these up on the Weber Saturday. Made with venison italian sausage, jalapeņos, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, seasoned Italian bread crumbs and egg? Didn't  get a chance to take a finished picture. The neighborhood carnivores demolished them in seconds.

The peppers could have been hotter.
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #249 on: Jun 14, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Thinking about smoking up a few Cornish game hens Sunday. Any suggestions?

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #250 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:11 AM »
I've been researching them myself. Most recommend brining the thawed birds for 1 1/2-2 hours.
1 gallon of cold water
1 cup of kosher salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Rinse and pat dry
Rub a generous coat of mayo the birds followed with a good layer of your favorite rub/seasoning.

Smoke at 260-275 in till they hit 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast.

I've only used this on chicken parts, but it should be great with game hens.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #251 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Just rub the whole thing with mayonnaise?
Might try this on my next chicken...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #252 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:34 AM »
Just rub the whole thing with mayonnaise?
Might try this on my next chicken...
Yes. I used to use EVOO, but I use mayo now for all poultry. Works great.

mudchuck

« Reply #253 on: Jun 14, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Anyone ever use buttermilk for a brine? Been thinking of using buttermilk on some stronger fillets as the brine instead of salted water.
I've been using buttermilk instead of milk in my egg wash when I do a breaded fry, and I like to results...consistency of the breading is better and taste is superior to milk/egg wash.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #254 on: Jun 14, 2019, 07:45 AM »
I saw that same recipe while doing some research. I like the sounds of the Mayo/ rub combination. I just mixed a batch of rub from that recipe too.

I was thinking of infusing the brine with a few other spices as was suggested in that recipe. There's 6 hens thawing in the fridge right now.

I've also got 2 thick pork tenderloins that are screaming Brachiole for tomorrow.

I'll  butterfly them out, pound them to about 1/4" and stuff with spinach, capacola,  provolone and hard boiled egg. They'll be rolled, tied up and browned then baked in sauce. Might have to make some home made garlic basil pasta to go with.

They're going on the Weber in parchment paper to bake.

Dang, I'm getting hungry.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.