FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 147681 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #645 on: Jun 10, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Looks good.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #646 on: Jun 10, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Looks great I can almost smell their goodness.

Mac Attack

« Reply #647 on: Jun 12, 2020, 11:48 PM »
Put a pork but into the smoker a few minutes ago.  Will do it for 14 hrs or so really low around 200.
Smeared it first with yellow mustard to get the rub to stick really well.
Then coated the poop out of it with a homemade rub concoction I tossed together.

Here it is after resting a couple hours to get it close to room temp and before the mustard and rub.

Here it is after the mustard and rub right when I put it into the smoker.
It looks dark because it was half past midnight.
It hadn't started smoking the meat yet.

Stay tuned to this channel.

Mac Attack

« Reply #648 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:33 AM »
Stayed up a little bit more to make sure everything was ok.
Smoke is rolling well and it's at 200

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #649 on: Jun 13, 2020, 04:23 AM »
Looking good Mac....

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #650 on: Jun 13, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Awesome! Can’t wait to see the final results!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #651 on: Jun 13, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Got up about 6am to check on things and they looked good. Squirted and went back to bed. Then Donna woke me about 9 and said it was smoking a LOT and then blew up and even popped the lid. ***censored****??? Went outside and it was at 325. I opened it and the meat looked good. Probed it and it was only at 140 so I caught it in time. As you can see on the photo there is plenty of smoking done and I even tasted it and wow! so I decided to pan it, wrap it, and finish in the oven inside the house. That's where it sets now at 200. I added a little honey water to the pan to keep things moist. Would have preferred some apple juice, but we were out and tequila would only have evaporated

Mac Attack

« Reply #652 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Not sure what happened.
The house smells awesome right now.

It was clean. Only cooked those sausages the other day and I cleaned it afterwards. So that wasn't it. After I took the pork off the grill and moved it inside I opened things up and it wasn't that bad. Very little soot and debris. But I did burn through an entire 20# bag of pellets on the sausages and this pork butt. The sausages cooked for 3 hrs and I did a grill bake out before the sausages at 475 for 30-45 minutes. Then the pork last night which was at 200 for 8-8.5 hrs. That's a $10 bag of pellets gone. I would have thought they would have lasted way longer. I make smoke in my Masterbuilt with way less wood but off course it heats with the electric element and this Pitt Boss heats with the pellets. I need to find a cheaper source for these pellets than Cabelas.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #653 on: Jun 13, 2020, 05:11 PM »
I haven't heard anything really great about Pit Boss grills for smoking. A blow up doesn't sound good.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #654 on: Jun 13, 2020, 06:04 PM »
I haven't heard anything really great about Pit Boss grills for smoking. A blow up doesn't sound good.

Rg

I heard tons
It’s the reason I bought it over the Treager.

Yea, the blow up isn’t good.

Found out what happened though.
It ran low on pellets then a slug of them dumped in and things relit.
You have to be sure the hopper is really topped off for longer runs like I did.  Or get the optional hopper extension.
Trial and error.
It’s not like that was the first thing I’ve blown up but in my profession we try to avoid it.
😎

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #655 on: Jun 14, 2020, 02:51 AM »
Did you see the ridiculous Webers they're selling now? $1000.

Seriously?

I've looked long and hard at all the electronic wonder smokers and grills. If my Weber ever dies, I'll buy an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn. No electricity necessary (except for the rotisserie).

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #656 on: Jun 14, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Yea, Bob.
There's some crazy stuff out there for sure.
My little 2 burner NG Weber here at home works fine but it was like $600.
I have a 4 burner off band with a side pan burner out at the lake I just bought from HD for only $200 and it was assembled.
Is the Weber a better grill?
Yup.
But not 3X better.
I would say it's only maybe 30-50% better at best.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #657 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:16 AM »
What I saw while working at Lowes was that Webers last way longer than any of the others except maybe Napoleons or Broil Kings. They're both in that outrageous price range too. The other thing is you can always get parts for Weber. Kind of like the John Deere of grills.

What I did notice over the last 5 years I'd is that Weber is cheaping out on a lot of the base components on their grills. A lot more plastic on them now then there used to be.

The Longhorn has a lot of what I'd like in a grilling machine. Smoker, charcoal, a killer of a gas grill at 36,000 btu's and a side burner. Only complaint I've seen about them is that there are no seals on the smoke chambers so they lose a lot of heat. But, I've seen where people have added seals to them and resolved the issue. One thing for sure, they're built like tanks. They're not powder coated either. Painted with high heat paint. I like that a lot. Paint can be refinished.

But...my Weber Performer Deluxe lives on and shows no signs of passing on any time soon. I'll probably have to put it in my will.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #658 on: Jun 15, 2020, 07:00 AM »

...my Weber Performer Delixe lives on and shows no signs of passing on any time soon. I'll probably have to put it in my will.

Rg

Mine will be left with the garage probably.
Or moved to FL.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #659 on: Jun 21, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Happy Father’s Day everyone.

Finally got a smoker, Masterbuilt electric. Was a Father’s Day gift that arrived early. Seasoned it the other night.

Ribs about to go on, half chickens currently sitting in brine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.