FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 148529 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #855 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Googled it, very simple. Many recipes. Didn’t realize that it’s cured for so long.

On my smoker bucket list for sure

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #856 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:21 PM »
I use the hi mountain cure, love it, takes 10 days in the fridge.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #857 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:31 PM »
I’ve always been my toughest critic, and I only listen to criticism that comes from me.

Best part of the meal were the potatoes and carrots, which I roasted in the slow cooker.

Corned beef was very tender, almost too tender. But will make great leftover samiches.

Cabbage was in the smoker for 4 hours and still came out crunchy. Which is fine if you like Cole slaw. I’m the only one in the house that does. Flavor was great, just had to give the bride all of the outside layers.

For my second attempt, I would wrap the corned beef in foil and not braise it in broth and water. Should firm things up a little bit. Have to have a Guinness or 5 to decide what to do with the cabbage. Initial thoughts, smoke it just as long as the beef.

Corned beef is still on sale this week, will grab another, throw it in the freezer for another attempt in the near future

I found a great way to make amends with St Paddy’s Day 2021 smoker fail - corned beef and cabbage soup.

Going to figure out how to go about it Saturday morning. Should be able to make enough for a meal and throw some in the freezer for a later date

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #858 on: Mar 19, 2021, 06:22 AM »
Good choice!!!

ira-akrfc

« Reply #859 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:44 AM »
I also smoked a corned beef for St. Patty's Day. Came out really good, though a bit salty - I'll soak the next one to try to remove some of the salt. The only "problem" with it - when slicing, it kind of crumbled. Will be great for making hash, but messy for sandwiches. Any suggestions?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #860 on: Mar 19, 2021, 09:05 AM »
I’ve used this recipe many times with fantastic results.
Soak the brisket for 24 hours changing water several times to remove the salt ( I use flat cuts)
Coat generously with brown mustard and dry rub
Smoke at 250* on the rack about 2 1/2 hrs to 160* ( very light smoke)
Put in a tightly covered pan with sauce to 190* ( I use a throw away foil pan.)
Remove and reduce the sauce to a glaze consistency
Coat the brisket  with the glaze and return to a covered pan at 250* for about 20 minutes or 195*

Rest for 20 minutes and slice across the grain

Sauce:
1 c. Beef broth
1/3 c. Bourbon
1/4 c. Molasses
1/3 c. Brown sugar
2 tbsp brown mustard.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it’s worth every second.
Bourbon makes everything better.

Enjoy,
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #861 on: Mar 19, 2021, 09:47 AM »
RG, that’s near exact what I did. Even cooked it in the pan to an internal temp of 200*. Took out of pan, let us rest wrapped in foil. Due to timing I had reheat, so I our back in juices and covered in 200* oven to warm. Never thought I’d be so disappointed in such tender meat.

I’ll get em next time!

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #862 on: Mar 19, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Try pulling it out at 192-195 degrees or a bit less. It should help. It keeps cooking a bit after you wrap it, plus the reheat didn't help either. Yep, there can be a thing as meat that is too tender.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #863 on: Mar 19, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Duly noted, thanks!

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #864 on: Mar 19, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Out of the 3 that I cooked in the slow cooker this year. 2 flats and a point. All almost the same weight. 2 sliced beautifully and the other fell apart like pot roast. It was still incredible, but was weird that they came out so different.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #865 on: Mar 19, 2021, 11:05 AM »
That’s pretty odd. Ours have never fallen apart like that. There’s probably a lot of variation in those cuts of meat depending on the brand.
The hunk I roasted in the oven a couple weeks back came out great. Juicy and tender. When I made Reubens from the left overs I sliced it and heated it up with a bit of beef broth and it was delicious.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #866 on: Mar 19, 2021, 11:13 AM »
That’s pretty odd. Ours have never fallen apart like that. There’s probably a lot of variation in those cuts of meat depending on the brand.
The hunk I roasted in the oven a couple weeks back came out great. Juicy and tender. When I made Reubens from the left overs I sliced it and heated it up with a bit of beef broth and it was delicious.

Rg

Baked corned beef had been my style the previous 5 years. I wanted to give the smoker a try this time around. We’ll give it another shot sometime over the summer with the smoker

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #867 on: Mar 21, 2021, 03:02 AM »
Made soup out of the leftover corned beef and cabbage. bride vetoed adding barley but overall it was a success. Gave some to my neighbor and still had enough to freeze for a future rainy day.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #868 on: Mar 21, 2021, 04:41 AM »
Gotta have barley!

Rg

O

« Reply #869 on: Mar 21, 2021, 07:44 PM »
I also smoked a corned beef for St. Patty's Day. Came out really good, though a bit salty - I'll soak the next one to try to remove some of the salt. The only "problem" with it - when slicing, it kind of crumbled. Will be great for making hash, but messy for sandwiches. Any suggestions?

It will make great corned beef hash for breakfast! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.