FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 146538 times)

MILLERMANKT

Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #1125 on: Dec 31, 2021, 10:02 PM »
That looks delicious Mac . Happy new year

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1126 on: Jan 01, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Perfect…👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #1127 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:12 AM »
Beautiful

Mac Attack

« Reply #1128 on: Jan 01, 2022, 01:32 PM »
The au jus was a tade too salty but the meat was steller

gotagetm

« Reply #1129 on: Jan 02, 2022, 07:21 AM »
got 3.5 lbs perch filets in a brine since yesterday hitting smoker about noon 

gotagetm

« Reply #1130 on: Jan 02, 2022, 10:56 AM »

Going in I'll keep them at about 145 till they get color I want with smoke then bump up to 155 till done ,dosnt take all that long , just check till there firm but break and done then I'll lower temp again and do one more little smoke cycle , I use only hickory ,oak or beech for everything,I'm not a fan of fruit wood like cherry, pear, apple just my preference , post finished product later !

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1131 on: Jan 02, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Smoked it up Friday.  Was a tad salty. Smoke didn't penetrate the way I like. In sure that was because I opted to run it hotter than normal. I used heavy hickory to try and combat short smoke time. I took it out and wrapped it at 150* internal. Still not as smoky as I prefer. Sill worth the time but the next one will be better. :D even though I used much less tender quick than recommended the color was spot on. It was juicy and tender. Just gotta lighten the salt.

fishogger, Try this next time. Pretty much no fail. The batch I have curing now will take me to 356 pounds of the stuff over the last 5 years. We love it. Hopefully the link will work.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/canadian-bacon-and-dried-beef-cured-smoked.109617/
Just follow the Canadian bacon part. However if you like dried beef and have venison back straps around, it is great eating.
Good luck

gotagetm

« Reply #1132 on: Jan 02, 2022, 03:37 PM »

Perch all done came out real good! I'll use in like a seafood salad or like a tuna sandwich or just eat as is! Love doing perch and eyes this way and ad it to a chowder is real good!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1133 on: Jan 02, 2022, 03:40 PM »
Nice..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1134 on: Jan 02, 2022, 04:04 PM »

Perch all done came out real good! I'll use in like a seafood salad or like a tuna sandwich or just eat as is! Love doing perch and eyes this way and ad it to a chowder is real good!

They look really good. I love smoked fish. Next time, once you get it to finish temp, leave a few pieces in the smoker at 150 degrees for a couple hours more to dry it out some more. Perch jerky, Yum Yum.

gotagetm

« Reply #1135 on: Jan 02, 2022, 04:31 PM »
D's some got like that ! I have one of those Master chef smokers with heating element on one side , I've become not a fan of doing sausage or fish in there ,heat dosnt seem uniform, meat like ribs pork are ok cause the temp you do that at , I'm going back to my homemade old 1950s bubble refrigerators I made into smokers I've used since80s I have center heat source with baffles so whole smoker is uniform temp and vents to circulate air there real good for food you do under 200* but MasterChef is good for 225-275 but that's to hot for fish

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #1136 on: Jan 02, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Love that old stuff. Here's my 1939 Frigidaire.

gotagetm

« Reply #1137 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:03 PM »
Yes sir can't beat them , if you find old fridge it's already 80 percent a smoker , heat source and vents and your in business, a few thermometers and all set !

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #1138 on: Jan 02, 2022, 07:41 PM »
Interesting temp step up in that link. Soaking it in water after brining would have helped mine I bet.

Thanks for the link

It would have, pulls the salt out, I soak my bacon 2 hours and then rinse. Bacons kind of a pain to do, but like mine better than the stores.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1139 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Found some chicken wings on sale. Smoked 10#, sent them to a few neighbors after I enjoyed some watching football. Would normally have people over but these days you can’t be too cautious. Here’s what’s left

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.