FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lithium 100 ah battery  (Read 15985 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Lithium 100 ah battery
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Oh, interesting, that makes sense.

The lithium will definitely be an accurate battery gauge which would be nice. I'm hoping some day that technology comes down in price, but until then I am happy with the lead acids other than moving the d**n things. I've salmon trolled for 16 hours in harmony with the gas kicker no problem, so I am happy with my capacity for now. Hopefully I don't notice too much drop in performance as they age, but I might because I use them hard. Drain them every time pretty much.

They tell you to do the auto stow procedure but to reset it is supposed to be done by Minn Kota, so I want to avoid that. But to be honest the auto trim motor has a clip to disconnect it... you can just use that and a bunch of straps to hold the heavy motor up while the shaft stays in the upright position. I don't know why the emergency stow procedure includes removing the lift piston.. I would drive with it in the upright position before I disconnected the lift piston, but what do I know.

I troll on Lakes Erie and Ontario Geoff.
I think your lakes are smaller - less rough and less wind.
When I'm out there and it's glass the batteries last forever.
Or when trolling with the wind.
But when we quarter or head into them that ipilot is working its tail off and sucking major on those batteries.

Your mention of pulling the clip on the trim unit and strapping it up in the vertical position suprised me as I wondered the very same thing when I watched a few of those videos.
No disconnecting the side plates, lift piston, etc.
Pull the pin, lift the shaft, and bungee things in place to get into shore.
Then recharge the batteries and stow the unit regularly.

We both should do this next season as a dry run to verify this works.

Thanks!!!!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Yep, well I plan on doing it at some point, surprised it hasn't happened yet. But with the wet cells it seems- going by the half useful gauge- that it will stop working by dropping too much voltage at some point. Then if I let the motor sit idle for a while the batteries sorta come back into it, like the voltage floats back enough for what I would hope would allow it to stow. I'll find out at some point. It will likely fail to stow at the 45 degree point which would be less than ideal if you ask me. I'd rather drive home with it on the trailer standing straight up.

Your lakes are indeed a whole different ballgame than mine! I'll be interested in hearing your experiences with the lithium. One thing I learned with my battery box over the winter, lithium power is far more powerful than lead acid, even for similar specs. Its weird, but my experience. I calculated 60 amps of power I'd needed for my battery box, but I never even use half of it. And its always the same, no matter how much you abuse it. Like, you know how wet cells can get abused and they are never the same again? Lithium power is always the same, every charge. So expensive though!! Definitely the gold standard.

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:17 PM »
I wonder the ramifications of riding back into the dock with that shaft straight up?
Flexing to and fro.
Wonder if that might cause damage?
I wonder what Minn Kota would say about it.
Probably tell you not to do it so they don't tget into trouble endorsing something questionable.

swnoel

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:58 AM »
I just ordered 2 100Ah lithiums from Battle Born out of Nevada. American made! I almost bought 2 100Ah  AGMs, but my wife explained to me that my back was more important (31# each in comparison to 67#!)and I couldn't take it with me! She had a point there and with a 10 year warranty I decided to go ahead. These are drop in batteries that will hook up to an onboard charger if it has the AGM setting. The AGM batteries were $245 each with a 30 month replacement, the Battle Born are $849 with a 10 year warranty. After doing some intense research I found out lithium batteries aren't all the same... you get what you pay for! For those serious about quality and American made give these guys a call... you won't be disappointed. I'll be giving my opinion and reviews as this season gets underway.

mcully

« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:04 AM »
Could you unplug your unit and unhook it from the mount and bring it into the boat for the ride if it didn't stow? My manual lift is on a quick mount pad so I could if I had to.

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Could you unplug your unit and unhook it from the mount and bring it into the boat for the ride if it didn't stow? My manual lift is on a quick mount pad so I could if I had to.

there is a way to manualy stow it if things go south.
There are a few You Tube videos on the procedure.
Here is one -

swnoel

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:01 PM »

I'd try that first rather than loosing the screws overboard. I suppose you could get some extra screws expecting it. I think I'm going to try it early this season just to see if it's going to be too difficult.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:28 PM »

I'd try that first rather than loosing the screws overboard. I suppose you could get some extra screws expecting it. I think I'm going to try it early this season just to see if it's going to be too difficult.

I'm not mounting mine on a quick disconnect purposely.
The quick disconnect raises the unit and I need all the shaft length I can muster on my boat (I know..........).
So I'll just need to be careful not to lose the screws.
Also, Jethro (Geoff) and I decided you really don't need to take out the screws.
Just pull the flat pin and raise the shaft and tied the unit there in the raised position for the ride back in.
Put it onto the trailer and then do the screw thing before you tow it home.

swnoel

« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:22 PM »

I'm not mounting mine on a quick disconnect purposely.
The quick disconnect raises the unit and I need all the shaft length I can muster on my boat (I know..........).
So I'll just need to be careful not to lose the screws.
Also, Jethro (Geoff) and I decided you really don't need to take out the screws.
Just pull the flat pin and raise the shaft and tied the unit there in the raised position for the ride back in.
Put it onto the trailer and then do the screw thing before you tow it home.

Good to know you can just pull the pin... I'll check that out. Am I assuming that by pulling out the flat pin you can raise it up but not fold in down?

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:28 PM »
Good to know you can just pull the pin... I'll check that out. Am I assuming that by pulling out the flat pin you can raise it up but not fold in down?

Yup!

Hey Geoff - where are you??

Jethro

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2021, 09:23 AM »

This is correct. The pin only disengages the trim motor from the shaft. The lift/stow mechanism is separate and that is what folds it down.

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2021, 10:16 AM »
This is correct. The pin only disengages the trim motor from the shaft. The lift/stow mechanism is separate and that is what folds it down.

HEY!!!!
W T F you been.
Welcome back.

8)

Jethro

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2021, 02:55 PM »

HEY!!!!
W T F you been.
Welcome back.

8)

I been on that ice fishing site!! And working.

I want lithium batteries bad. Getting ready to re-install my lead acid deep cycles back in the boat.

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:21 PM »
I been on that ice fishing site!! And working.

I want lithium batteries bad. Getting ready to re-install my lead acid deep cycles back in the boat.

You coulda stopped by and said hi

Lol

Mine shipped 2 weeks ago
Will be another2-4 weeks yet before it shows up.
The 3 chargers showed a week or so back but they were air freight and a typical commodity.  So no customs hang ups.
The battery however comes via ship and because of the technology it spends a little time in customs.
I’m stoked!!!
200ah
Gideeup

swnoel

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2021, 08:53 AM »
It's amazing how light the batteries are in comparison to the lead battery! My back thanks the technology!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.