FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bat houses?  (Read 3143 times)

taxid

Bat houses?
« on: Apr 26, 2021, 09:03 AM »
I have bats between my fireplace and attic and other than blocking them out once they leave at night, I'd also like put up a bat house nearby for them to relocate. Doing research it appears mulichamber is better (1 to 4 chambers at least 20 inches in height and 16 inches wide.) Other than a "designer" series on line that has a ridiculous price to it,  the bat houses I run into are don't fit the above criteria.  I guess I could build one but time of essence right now. But may end up doing it.

Anybody have any leads on bat houses the fit the above criteri? I don't mind spending money but 200 to 300 dollars seems a little silly for a bat house. Always stayed away from things that are "designer" as that's usually over priced and for Yuppies.

I notice a lot of the ones I see for sale are probably made in China. Would prefer USA. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

popnfish

Re: Bat houses?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2021, 09:32 AM »
might try [email protected] . The dnr has a roost monitoring project

Badbrad2186

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2021, 10:02 AM »
I have bats between my fireplace and attic and other than blocking them out once they leave at night, I'd also like put up a bat house nearby for them to relocate. Doing research it appears mulichamber is better (1 to 4 chambers at least 20 inches in height and 16 inches wide.) Other than a "designer" series on line that has a ridiculous price to it,  the bat houses I run into are don't fit the above criteria.  I guess I could build one but time of essence right now. But may end up doing it.

Anybody have any leads on bat houses the fit the above criteri? I don't mind spending money but 200 to 300 dollars seems a little silly for a bat house. Always stayed away from things that are "designer" as that's usually over priced and for Yuppies.

I notice a lot of the ones I see for sale are probably made in China. Would prefer USA.

I found this still $130 but looks like exactly what your looking for

https://www.thebirdhousechick.com/products/large-capacity-bat-house

Badbrad2186

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2021, 10:05 AM »
https://rochester.craigslist.org/for/d/rochester-bat-house/7304923073.html

Check your local craigslist I found this in Rochester ny just by searching bat house

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Thank you Brad!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Badbrad2186

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Thank you Brad!

No problem I would hate to see you evict them and not have a place for them to go. You might get your self in hot water with the Covid 19 no eviction stuff going on 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. If you provide a new place you should be ok. Before anyone jumps all over me it's just a joke

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2021, 11:07 AM »
We bought this one for the lake place but have not hung it up yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HPMN7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2021, 11:07 AM »
No problem I would hate to see you evict them and not have a place for them to go. You might get your self in hot water with the Covid 19 no eviction stuff going on 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. If you provide a new place you should be ok. Before anyone jumps all over me it's just a joke

No worries.  :rotflol:

I do know a lot of our native bats have been wiped out by a virus. Not the same one of course. I found a sick one a couple of years ago. Weak and couldn't fly.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2021, 11:11 AM »
If I was looking I would turn to the Cornell Cooperative Extension here in NY. Looks like Purdue has something similar. Give them a call and see

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. I went ahead and ordered the one Brad gave a link to. It fits the criteria I found for bat houses after doing some research.

The fun part will be putting the ladder in position. It's a monster aluminum ladder that weighs a ton, and the area where the bats go in and out of is at least 25 feet above the deck which is about 10 feet above the ground. (It's where the stone ends under the roof). I need to get the ladder on the deck with no help. Yee Haw! My back will be sore for a few days. And I have starlings making a mess up there too.

I used be uncomfortable at heights but got over that maintaining and staining the log home.  I had no choice. :rotflol:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Mount it on a pole way away from the house. They’re messy little buggers.
 I’ve built a few. They’re pretty simple . Where you put them is the most important.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. I went ahead and ordered the one Brad gave a link to. It fits the criteria I found for bat houses after doing some research.

The fun part will be putting the ladder in position. It's a monster aluminum ladder that weighs a ton, and the area where the bats go in and out of is at least 25 feet above the deck which is about 10 feet above the ground. (It's where the stone ends under the roof). I need to get the ladder on the deck with no help. Yee Haw! My back will be sore for a few days. And I have starlings making a mess up there too.

I used be uncomfortable at heights but got over that maintaining and staining the log home.  I had no choice. :rotflol:

glad I could help now I need to get to your place and fish some ponds

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2021, 04:29 PM »
glad I could help now I need to get to your place and fish some ponds

Don't wait too long as I hope to have all the trout out by the end of May or sooner before the ospreys show up. I'll be shutting down the trout pond permanently after that. Make you sure you contact me before coming out for an appointment and specifics if you decide to fish.

Thanks again for the link.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Don't wait too long as I hope to have all the trout out by the end of May or sooner before the ospreys show up. I'll be shutting down the trout pond permanently after that. Make you sure you contact me before coming out for an appointment and specifics if you decide to fish.

Thanks again for the link.

Im actually intrested in fishing for perch next time you are allowing people to fish that pond.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Be careful on that ladder. I spent years up and down ladders.

Ladders are why man invented the bucket truck.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.