FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great "first" time out for this spring!  (Read 5900 times)

Snitch#8

Great "first" time out for this spring!
« on: Apr 30, 2021, 10:10 AM »
A buddy and I decided to try for some "first of the year" soft water gills yesterday.  We headed to a favorite lake north and east of Gladwin.  We started fishing at about 8am and fished until 430.  We started off on fire, catching 10 or fifteen very nice 9-10 inch gills and sunnies.  One of each pushed the 11 inch range.  After things slowed down, we moved around the lake continuing to search out our quarry.  After trying four or five different spots and landing many smaller "6" inchers and a few not so small bass, we found another "honey" hole.  We proceeded to catch another 15 nice fish.  On the way back to the launch we decided to try where we had started and ended up landing another 10 or so 8-9 inchers.  At the end of the day we didn't get our limit but we did put 40 nice eating panfish in the box.  We mainly fished from the shoreline out to four foot of water.  Some fish came right tight to the bank and we took a few out of the newly popping lily pads.  The water temp was consistently 52 degrees but we did find one spot that was 53.5.  Some of the water fished was clear to slightly cloudy.  I fished with a chartreuse green and orange 4mm tear drop with a chunk of crawler and my buddy used a 4mm chartreuse orange tear drop with waxies.  Both presentations caught fish.  Most of the fish caught were males.  From what we experienced things are starting to pop and should only get better from here.  Depending on the weather I would think the fish should be on the beds in another couple of weeks.  One week of nice 70 degree and sunny days would surely set things on fire.  Get out and enjoy the water folks and as Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!

Snitch#8

Re: Great "first" time out for this spring!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 09:20 AM »
I see there are way more people on this site, then there are on Ice Shanty, who want to reap the benefit of "looking" but don't want to share!  I realize fishermen don't want to give away their honey holes, just like Shroomers won't give digits on their Morel hot spots.  But, to come on here to see what you can reap, without interacting is childish.  If you take the time to come on here, why not at the very least say hello?  Just doesn't make sense to me to come onto a social site and not be "social"!  I haven't posted since my original post because I haven't been able to get out.  Let's hear some of your excuses.  Surely, you know how to use a keyboard, or you wouldn't have found my thread!  As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Unfortunately the Michigan site isn't very active if you haven't noticed.

I live in Indiana but glad you got into them and got a nice mess. We all need days like that.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Snitch#8

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 11:04 AM »
Just don't get it, but it is what it is.  I'll keep trying.  Went out again yesterday to the same lake.  We tried the very same place where we caught most of the fish on our first adventure and didn't find a bluegill worth taking home.  We then noticed some lighter spots, on the bottom, in deeper water.  One cast proved our suspicion that the light spots were beds.  We were fishing in about 10 fow and the gills were big.  I'm sure we could have taken a limit if we wanted, but after a half hour my cousin and I stopped, at fifteen a piece.   All of the fish were 9-10 inches and there was a 70/30 mix of females to males.  Tear drops, crawlers and slip bobbers were the ticket for our success.  Since the gills were bedding, color didn't make a difference.  I'm pretty sure the fish will be off the beds, on this particular lake within the next week.  We are going further north and east, for our next trip.  Hope this report gets you off the couch and onto a lake.  If so, please report the results.  As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.