FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ulterra  (Read 8321 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Ulterra
« Reply #45 on: Apr 11, 2022, 09:24 AM »
Whelp, certainly found the problem:

Seal failed on the upper trim housing. Can see exactly where:

And just my luck, the actual small motor itself is not available from Minn Kota, but of course the entire trim assembly is at the tune of $360. Guess if I want to use it this season I have to pony up. >:(

Mac Attack

« Reply #46 on: Apr 11, 2022, 09:44 AM »
That stinks Geoff
There’s tons of videos on this leak problem on YouTube as I’m sure you know.
Anyway, might want to check them out again incase someone has a way (trick) to prevent it from reoccurring.
Good luck!

swnoel

« Reply #47 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Whelp, certainly found the problem:

Seal failed on the upper trim housing. Can see exactly where:

And just my luck, the actual small motor itself is not available from Minn Kota, but of course the entire trim assembly is at the tune of $360. Guess if I want to use it this season I have to pony up. >:(

Is it possible to have it rebuilt? http://aaapumpservice.com/electric-motor-repairs/

Jethro

« Reply #48 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10:51 AM »

Is it possible to have it rebuilt? http://aaapumpservice.com/electric-motor-repairs/

It's quite possible, but the motor housing is severely corroded. I tried to remove the motor core but no luck, it's rusted almost solid. I think I will just start with a new one, already ordered.

swnoel

« Reply #49 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10:58 AM »
It's quite possible, but the motor housing is severely corroded. I tried to remove the motor core but no luck, it's rusted almost solid. I think I will just start with a new one, already ordered.

That's probably the best way to deal with it , hopefully it won't happen again.

fishinator

« Reply #50 on: Apr 11, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Any specs on motor? Sure you could find a replacement somewhere.

fishinator

« Reply #51 on: Apr 11, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Any specs on motor? Sure you could find a replacement somewhere. Hard to tell from pic but it looks like a 540 size. Common in r/c and several other things.

Jethro

« Reply #52 on: Apr 11, 2022, 12:51 PM »
Any specs on motor? Sure you could find a replacement somewhere. Hard to tell from pic but it looks like a 540 size. Common in r/c and several other things.

Yeah, there isn't really anything special about the motor- UNFORTUNATELY. It's not even brushless, which if it were it would probably still be working. Whatever.

It does have a gear and some other hardware on the output shaft that doesn't seem to be removable. It also has a very specific slot for adjusting the tension of the belt it drives very finely. I imagine I could have done some detective work and saved myself some cash, but honestly, with the upper seal that failed- and the time it would have taken to reverse engineer... I need the stupid thing working RIGHT NOW, so I think just buying the whole thing is the best way to go.

This really shouldn't be a knock on the Ulterra, once again I believe this is likely user error. When I first installed the motor it made noise and I had to open the trim housing and adjust this very motor. I wouldn't doubt if I did a poor job putting the cover and seal back together. Live and learn.

gotagetm

« Reply #53 on: Apr 11, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I don't think it's user error, my buddy here in NY has one on his tracker boat and has had nothing but problems especially with the deploy on it I have the terrova and I had a little issue with that but not like him

Jethro

« Reply #54 on: Apr 11, 2022, 02:50 PM »
I don't think it's user error, my buddy here in NY has one on his tracker boat and has had nothing but problems especially with the deploy on it I have the terrova and I had a little issue with that but not like him

Maybe so, maybe not... one thing is undeniably true- these things are built like Playskool toys.

gotagetm

« Reply #55 on: Apr 11, 2022, 03:39 PM »
That's what I've heard

Jethro

« Reply #56 on: Apr 15, 2022, 08:39 PM »
Back in action! Kudos to Northland Marine, they came through with the right part number when Minn Kota couldn't, and for $50 less. 10 Dollar shipping and it was at my door on Thursday after ordering Monday morning. Easy install and works perfect. Ready for me to break the next thing I guess.

lowaccord66

« Reply #57 on: Apr 15, 2022, 08:52 PM »
Glad to read that Geoff.  Go get em!

Mac Attack

« Reply #58 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:05 AM »
Back in action! Kudos to Northland Marine, they came through with the right part number when Minn Kota couldn't, and for $50 less. 10 Dollar shipping and it was at my door on Thursday after ordering Monday morning. Easy install and works perfect. Ready for me to break the next thing I guess.

Hey Geoff
Did you figure out why it leaked?
Were you able to come up with a better sealing method?

swnoel

« Reply #59 on: Apr 16, 2022, 07:14 AM »

good to hear!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.