FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake wildlife  (Read 1606 times)

Dirt23

Lake wildlife
« on: Jun 28, 2021, 05:54 AM »
Made it up to Tarleton Saturday afternoon sat on the porch watched rain showers pass and decided it was time to do some fishing. I still had 4 smelt leftover in bait tank so brought those along to try out on a drift. So tying up sliding bait rigs at the dock hear this strange chirping not like any bird, look up to see 3 mink swimming at the boat.  Chirping was a mad momma trying to keep her 2 young away from us and the 2 dogs we had on the porch.  Our Shepard berner cross saw them as live action chew toys and hopped in water then the yelling commenced, got the dog out before there was any casualties.  In the mayhem on of baby's got separated, momma went into rocks with other and started a different chirping maybe locater?  Little duffer poked it's head up after a few minutes and began making its way back to Mom hopping across rocks.  Before he got to Mom it grabbed a baseball sized frog and finished his journey back to family with a snack.  I thought this was pretty neat but now time to fish, make it out to 40 fow and drop smelt down start my drift. Drift from boys camp to island no takers but looking back in cove off island see a coyote hopping across rocks with its attention to lake when I realized there is a fawn swimming in the cove.  I quickly real lines up and and fire motor up trying to scare coyote and it dove into woods, and was still going to head fawn off which was swimming right back in. I decided  to intervene so I cut fawn of and pushed it to the island. Finally after a little coaxing fawn was safe on island looked a little tired and cold but beat the alternative.  Made it back out trolling next morning 5 to 9 got  1 tank scrubber to the boat on a dipsy and Brad's killer fish marked a ton from 12 to 20 feet but they weren't feeling my set-ups.  Maybe next time

mowbizz

Re: Lake wildlife
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2021, 07:19 AM »
Good job on the fawn save!
The yote I gave a dirt nap to (last deer season) was “following” a small buck as well.
Nature is awesome…except for the fawn killers… ;)

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Cool report and interesting observations.  Thanks for sharing.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:33 AM »
Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:59 AM »
That’s cool!

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2021, 05:33 AM »
Cool story….I was up that way last weekend hiking around the lake looking for a good spot for an overnight…

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.