FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wild Rainbow?  (Read 1935 times)

tr1911

Wild Rainbow?
« on: Aug 12, 2021, 07:29 AM »

I caught a little rainbow way up in the mountains in a headwater stream where I normally only catch small native brookies. I know they stock them further down but this one seemed on the small side to be a stockie, does anyone think it could be a stream reared fish that managed to swim way up river, or is it just my imagination?

AquaAssassin

Re: Wild Rainbow?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Absolutely! Happens often!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Sweet! If it is a wild one that a cool find! And concur with the above, absolutely possible (although stocking dink fish is too, lol)

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Yes one reason for the decline in native brook trout in the 19th century. Takeover by more aggressive rainbows and browns naturally reproducing.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

AquaAssassin

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:07 AM »
I have endless photos like this, all NH, multiple streams and Brooks, and nowhere near any stocking sites. The bodies of water stocked yes but not in the areas I find them noR the various stages of there lives. The one in the pic you can see Is a juvie

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:13 PM »
The tribs of the Andro are loaded with them.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.