FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Driving a boat and trailer into Canada...  (Read 3338 times)

taxid

Re: Driving a boat and trailer into Canada...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:33 PM »
i caught a tiger on loon back then that was around 2# shy of the record.  that was the most beautiful fish id ever caught.  that one had turquois stripes that looked metallic.  i wish we still had some.  i was going to have her mounted.  she rested up on the stringer for a while, then tail walked and broke off.  i was bummed to say the least.  after the fact i realized how much it would have cost and wasnt so sad then. lol

Yeah those taxidermists are rich I tell ya!  :rotflol:

I had a woman call me one day years ago. Was asking how much it would cost to mount her grandson's fish. When I told her she replied with, "That's highway robbery!"  Was having a bad day that day, and found that rather insulting so I replied with: "O.K. here's what ya do. Put the fish in a clear plastic bag and whenever you or your grandson want to admire the fish just pull it out of the freezer." And then I hung up.

Truthfully even as a taxidermist, considering the ease and high quality of photography these days, with just a cell phone, most if not all of the big fish I catch are released and I'm fine with just a photo. And I think it's fine for others too. Of course i have fish in my growing ponds that rival if not surpass what's in the pubic lakes. You've seen my trout, bluegills, yellow perch, and largemouths.

I do get lake people that bring me 14 inch bass to mount and and are besides themselves at the size.  "Yeah that's a nice one!"  :rotflol: I have no problem taking their money since many of them would keep me off their lake if they could.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:47 PM »
Quotes I got for skin mounts were around 13 bucks an inch.  Not sure if thats fair or not.

What I do Cecil is take the pic then send it to be transposed to canvas and framed. 

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Quotes I got for skin mounts were around 13 bucks an inch.  Not sure if thats fair or not.

What I do Cecil is take the pic then send it to be transposed to canvas and framed.

That's actually below the national average for high quality fish mounts but it can depend on your area's cost of living. National average right now is about $20.00 per inch with some higher and some lower. Unfortuatenly you usually get what you pay for with some exceptions. For anyone on here considering having a fish mounted or a replica, please please look at the work first! We are not all created equal in ability and I've see some work that was so bad it seemed like you had to try to make it look that bad. I've had people bring me a fish of a lifetime to see I could make it look better that someone else mounted, and they were almost in tears when they got it back from the other taxidermist.

That picture to a canvas is really cool. My wife took some pictures in Alaska last summer and had that done. Very beautiful! We'll be doing more of those. The wife wants to get me a better quality camera for that. The one I have now isn't even as good as the wife's cell phone.

Here's a pic of a small lake in Mass (I didn't take the picture) that keeps me coming back. I fished it as a kid just about every day for three years all seasons. Way back in the late 1960's through 1971. Mass was so different back then!

No cottages, no outboards, a small public beach an boat launch. Full of trout and nice panfish. A mini version of Walden Pond without all the people!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:09 PM »
i caught a tiger on loon back then that was around 2# shy of the record.  that was the most beautiful fish id ever caught.  that one had turquois stripes that looked metallic.  i wish we still had some.  i was going to have her mounted.  she rested up on the stringer for a while, then tail walked and broke off.  i was bummed to say the least.  after the fact i realized how much it would have cost and wasnt so sad then. lol

A nice 40 inch tiger musky mount done by taxidermist Jim Risovi from North Dakota.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.