FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New boater law  (Read 4308 times)

Mac Attack

Re: New boater law
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:38 PM »
I took your comment as sarcasm, Mac. I only do the same in return. 😁

Yup!
I knew.
Thanks though.

I was simply explaining it for those that didn’t.

It’s all good!

Again, thanks partner.

Old Timer

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Shoveling crap against the tide…. Ships bring all this  invasive stuff into Lake Ontario and it spreads from there. Boats may speed it along but it will get into the waterways and lakes in time.  After the fact panic.  Too little too late.. 

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:40 PM »
not my state, but i believe its futile.

It does seem like the horse is already out of the barn. OTOH there are still probably new invasives coming in via ballast water on ships, and we are up to what 184 now in the Great Lakes?

However if done correctly on a body of water where the invasives haven't arrived yet it's a great idea. Most invasive aquatic plants spread by fragmentation so if you can keep a boat from bringing in those fragments by removing them from the trailer and prop before launch... I know some lake associatons are spending thousands of dollars every year tryng to keep eurasion milfoil at bay that can totally clog a lake.

In Massachusetts at Quabbin you need to make an appointment and have your boat inspected and decontaminated before you can launch. Then a lead seal and wire is connected between the boat and trailer. If you the break the seal by launching somewhere else you won't be able to launch at Quabbin until you are decontaminated again. The seal is redone on Quabbin after a launch there. It's the main water supply for Boston and they don't want mussels or whatever getting into the 25 mile long aqueduct under ground. Can you imagine dealing with that in an aquaduct up to 200 feet below ground about 25 miles long!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2021, 06:07 AM »
A few years ago there were huge schools of bait fish in the lake. I asked DEC if they knew what they were. They didn't, yet they are looking for something  so tiny it can't be seen with the naked eye. I still don't mind the effort they are doing. On a plus side, one day they were handing out small towels to wipe the boat down with....h2l

myemmy

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2021, 06:36 AM »
I believe that the bass tournaments spread more due to the fact that tournament fishes travel to a different lake a couple times a week just my 2 cents,

FrankM

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Last summer a nice young lady from the DEC reminded me to drain my boat as I was pulling out of the Small Boat Harbor.  I thought that was something everyone did. If you don't pull the plug out when you leave how can you have your senior moment the next time you launch and forget to put the plug in? 
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I believe that the bass tournaments spread more due to the fact that tournament fishes travel to a different lake a couple times a week just my 2 cents,

Perhaps but I believe it's also possible the zebras may have come in to inland lakes on some of the larger boats in my area that also ply the waters of the Great Lakes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Last summer a nice young lady from the DEC reminded me to drain my boat as I was pulling out of the Small Boat Harbor.  I thought that was something everyone did. If you don't pull the plug out when you leave how can you have your senior moment the next time you launch and forget to put the plug in?

My buddy never removes his.
But he only launches that boat at SBH, so there's no harm.

FrankM

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:05 PM »
My boat has been taking on more water than usual lately. I think I have a bum rivet that needs to be replaced.

62 & Done

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2021, 04:00 PM »
Frank I'm having the same issue and not sure if it's a rivit or something with the live well. I may flood the boat in spring on the trailer and look for leaks.  Where would you go to have rivits replaced ?

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2021, 04:13 PM »

I took on water and it was from the live well hose

FrankM

« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Frank I'm having the same issue and not sure if it's a rivit or something with the live well. I may flood the boat in spring on the trailer and look for leaks.  Where would you go to have rivits replaced ?
Once I locate the bad one I drill it out and replace it with a pop rivet. They make closed end rivets specifically for that purpose and you can find them on ebay. My boat is 37 years old and I have replaced several over the years. Sometimes you can spot the bad ones just by looking. Other times you need to put the plug in and fill the boat with a hose until you can see the leak.

mcully

« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2021, 06:18 AM »
Skaneateles and Owasco have attendants Oneida doesn't. I'm pretty good at hosing down the boat between uses anyway regardless of the requests. No gobies yet in Skinny or Owasco but plenty of weeds and mussels.

Pequod1

« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2021, 07:32 AM »
Yep, skinny and Owasco , Canandaigua, Penn Yan, union springs and the SBH.  I have been checked just about everywhere I fish.  Kind of feel sorry for the kids checking at times.  Summer weekdays are hot with a lot fewer boats for them to check.  I actually caught one young lady napping at Owasco this year. Temp was in the 90’s with little wind that day.

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Yep, skinny and Owasco , Canandaigua, Penn Yan, union springs and the SBH.  I have been checked just about everywhere I fish.  Kind of feel sorry for the kids checking at times.  Summer weekdays are hot with a lot fewer boats for them to check.  I actually caught one young lady napping at Owasco this year. Temp was in the 90’s with little wind that day.

I did a creel census once on a remote pond and fell asleep in my car because hardly anyone came. Biologist I worked for launched without me waking up. He woke me up me after he came back in. He went easy on me considering...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.