FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishes and Baklava  (Read 989 times)

bogtrotter

Fishes and Baklava
« on: Dec 18, 2021, 12:32 PM »
The Greek church in Pittsfield was having their Christmas pastry sale, so I took a trip down there this morning.

After picking up my pastries, I made a side trip to the NW Housatonic (along Wahconah Avenue) and fished below the dam.

It was cloudy, with light flurries (which picked up later in the day), and about 34 degrees. 

Stream levels were moderately high, albeit higher than I had expected.

I caught two 8" to 9" perch (respectable for the spot) but that was about it.

Then I headed to Onota Boat Launch and bought a dozen medium shiners for $8 on the off chance that I can get in some ice fishing tomorrow - - or keep the shiners alive in my basement until next weekend.

On my drive home, I stopped along the way and fished my milk run (Mullen Mayflower to Elm Rock) along the South Hoosic in Adams from about 11:15 AM to 12:15 PM.

The only strike that I had on the South Branch was from a 15" brown trout a little below the Old Stone Mill. 

The brown gave a tremendous fight for its size and the cold temperatures (which I generally find make the trout lethargic), but by the time I was able to get it abreast of me to pick it up and carry to shore to unhook it properly, it had pretty well tuckered out, and (thankfully) didn't flop around too much.

Dieseldog13

Re: Fishes and Baklava
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2021, 07:51 PM »
Nice report and a real good Brown.

Steve H.

Re: Fishes and Baklava
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2021, 02:00 PM »
The Greek church in Pittsfield was having their Christmas pastry sale, so I took a trip down there this morning.

After picking up my pastries, I made a side trip to the NW Housatonic (along Wahconah Avenue) and fished below the dam.

It was cloudy, with light flurries (which picked up later in the day), and about 34 degrees. 

Stream levels were moderately high, albeit higher than I had expected.

I caught two 8" to 9" perch (respectable for the spot) but that was about it.

Then I headed to Onota Boat Launch and bought a dozen medium shiners for $8 on the off chance that I can get in some ice fishing tomorrow - - or keep the shiners alive in my basement until next weekend.

On my drive home, I stopped along the way and fished my milk run (Mullen Mayflower to Elm Rock) along the South Hoosic in Adams from about 11:15 AM to 12:15 PM.

The only strike that I had on the South Branch was from a 15" brown trout a little below the Old Stone Mill. 

The brown gave a tremendous fight for its size and the cold temperatures (which I generally find make the trout lethargic), but by the time I was able to get it abreast of me to pick it up and carry to shore to unhook it properly, it had pretty well tuckered out, and (thankfully) didn't flop around too much.

I'd be more than pleased with a 15" brown this time of year.  Way to stick with it!   
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.