FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chest or waist waders  (Read 2526 times)

Johnnh

Chest or waist waders
« on: May 31, 2023, 04:32 AM »
Looking for new waders and need suggestions on types and quality.
I fish ice out to December so insulated waders may be an option.
Thanks
John

Dirt23

Re: Chest or waist waders
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:30 AM »
I just went down this rabbit hole ended up with some Simms waders and boots from last year's color scheme 27%off. They are great waders and boot but they definitely provide no warmth.  I was used to my old Cabela's 5mm neoprene those were warm but more cumbersome.  Trade offs with both.  Boots opted for cleated just cause there are 12 states that do not allow felt one of which being Alaska Wich is on bucket list.  I really liked the looks of the snobee classic waders Wich are neoprene with a felt cleated boot built in and there are so many nice options in light weights. Hope this helps in some way

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 07:35 AM »
I've fished in the snow for steelhead with breathable waders (Simms G3s and G4s, Orvis Guide Series) as do a lot of people I know.  I recommend a quality merino wool base layer and a fleece mid layer, as this will keep your legs warm enough.  The challenge can be with your feet though.  I usually wear a thin sock liner and a Smartwool sock over that but sometimes I need to get out of the water when my feet get too cold and let them warm up.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 08:21 AM »
I bought some chest waders last year but I wish I just got waist waders, they would work for almost all the fishing I do.

fishinjohn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 08:53 AM »
I would most definitely make sure you get felt soles.... walk on the slickest rocks with no issues

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 10:29 AM »
Ive owned all lines of simms, they all leak at the seams. 2 pairs of freestones 3 pairs of g3's two sets of g4's.  I wear thermal simms pants underneath for the cold weather. 

As far as waist vs full waders, full without question.  Wading pants are too easy to flood.

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:04 PM »
Waist waders work for me. I'm no longer keen on shoulder deep water and most of the streams where I live
don't have that kind of depth.  A reminder from someone who already replied said.  A number of states have
laws prohibiting felt bottom wader boots.  The concern being the spread of "didymo", aka rock snot, an invasive algae

fish on,

rivereddy

fishinjohn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 03:44 PM »

Here are the states where they are illegal
Simple ways to clean them are detergent water or salt water..
Soak forr 30 min and let dry

Johnnh

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 05:09 PM »
I want to thank everyone for all of the helpful responses.
I am going to try on waist and chest waders within a week.
Best choices look like Simms and Orvis
I will let you know what choice I make
John

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2023, 03:20 AM »
If I ever have to replace my Orvis Clearwater chest waders ( now probably 15 years old) , I’d buy their newest model Clearwater. They’re affordable, light, breathable have a good neoprene boot and gravel cuff. They’re made so you can drop the upper and use them as waist waders if you choose.

I’ve worn out my original Grey Ghost boots and need a new pair. I was very happy with the rubber soles and tungsten cleats. Not sure what I’ll buy if I decide to get another pair. Don’t do much wading in cold water these days. For warm water I just wet wade.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Johnnh

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2023, 04:29 PM »
I forgot to mention boot requirements.
My shoe size is 12E
I spoke with Orvis and their width is D.
The gentleman I spoke with told me to visit the local Orvis store and bring heavy socks. He said that size 14 would likely fit.
Anyone out there with big wide feet like me?
Comments please
John

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2023, 05:14 PM »
Ive owned all lines of simms, they all leak at the seams. 2 pairs of freestones 3 pairs of g3's two sets of g4's.  I wear thermal simms pants underneath for the cold weather. 

As far as waist vs full waders, full without question.  Wading pants are too easy to flood.

This ^

Half waders/waist high waders, whatever they are called a death trap in moving water. I’d be dead right now if I wore those waist waders vs full waders with a GOOD wading belt.

I also prefer the breathable waders in cold. Layers underneath in the right weight and you’re good for all temps.

For brands/types I would go one of two ways. Spend as much as possible and get the best wader you can buy, or go yo an LL bean outlet store and search for one that fits. When it leaks go buy another pair.

zwiggles

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2023, 05:21 PM »
I forgot to mention boot requirements.
My shoe size is 12E
I spoke with Orvis and their width is D.
The gentleman I spoke with told me to visit the local Orvis store and bring heavy socks. He said that size 14 would likely fit.
Anyone out there with big wide feet like me?
Comments please
John

My dad has the widest feet I’ve ever seen and has to special order boots and shoes. He went up a shoe size for wading boots, and the cabelas cheapo boots fit him well enough like this. Any decent shop with boots for sale should have a neoprene sock you can try and use to simulate a pair of boot foot waders. I will say my SIMMs freestone boots I got last year run tight on my feet, and I have a single E foot.

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2023, 06:33 AM »
 I have several friends that are river guides and simms seems to the most popular wader here
 I own a pair of Allen breathable stocking foot  , I’ve had them for several years and holding up very well with a pair of  korker wading shoe

Johnnh

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2023, 06:22 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone for their input.
I purchased simms stockingfoot waders and simms wading boots yesterday.
Looking forward to using them in the next few days.
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.