FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: leaders  (Read 2949 times)

fishfinder24

leaders
« on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:19 AM »
I see a lot about power pro line.  Do you guys use wire leaders with that or not?  Also, it seems with that line not having any stretch you might lose some fish because there is no leeway and give.  Ive always assumed that fighting a big fish with a line that stretches would be to your advantage.  I guess that's why you never ASSume right? 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2005, 12:49 PM »
You still need to use wire leaders...muskies' teeth will cut braid just as easily as mono.  As for the no-stretch, you simply need to back the drag down slightly.  The no-stretch factor does help in the hookset department, where you are pretty much guarenteed a solid hookset.

terrieb80

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Braided steel leaders when trolling.  Solid steel leaders when casting jerk baits.  This will almost gaurentee you won't fowl your front jerk bait hooks over the leader.  Best advice someone ever gave me on leaders.

NormS

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2005, 08:18 PM »
My preference is Titanium  60-80 lb 12" leaders for casting. As for trolling 80lb mono/floro 12" in spring. Summer and fall I use 100lb mono/floro 36" to 48" always spool the reels with 65lb Power Pro.  After landing 40+ Muskies never lost a lure in a fishes face so why change a good thing.
Good Fishing.
Norm

fishfinder24

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:19 AM »
Can't argue with success I guess.  Where do you get leaders that long or do you make your own?

NormS

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:42 AM »
The Titanium's I buy but the Mono or Flourocarbon leader's I make myself. You can however get them pre-made from Rollie and Helens Muskie Shop or Smokeys Muskie shop, both are online.
Good Fishing.
Norm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.