FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: mushrooms  (Read 7581 times)

hunter13

mushrooms
« on: Aug 09, 2005, 02:59 PM »
i posted on hunting site but no one home over there  just wanted to know where is a good spot to look for hens of the woods i heard they grow only around big red oaks but just wanted to know if it is true

hunter13
GRAB YOUR ROD AND GET-R-DONE

Grizz

Re: mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2005, 01:36 PM »
HUNTER 13 I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD YOU DONT GIVE THAT INFORMATION OUT ON MUSHROOMS IF YOU KNOW OF GOOD AREAS. BUT I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT MUSHROOMS (WILD ONES ) THAT IS. BUT I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD ANSWER ME THIS. I WAS TOLD IF THE UNDERSIDE OF A MUSHROOM WAS BLACK WHEN PICK, IT WAS POISONOUS. AND ALL OTHERS ARE EDIBLE TO EAT. IS THERE ANY TRUTH TOO THIS?
AND YES I CAN GIVE YOU SOME INFOR ON THESE TASTY THINGS...........GRIZZ :P

hunter13

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2005, 03:52 PM »
i have no clue about that grizz ill have to ask the guy that knows about them lol i  was thinking about starting to hunt for wild ones thats why i asked about where  a good spot is to look for them

hunter13

john-boy

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Here's a link for you to look at . http://www.michiganmorels.com/
Hope it helps .
                                           John

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I am no expert by any means, but make sure you know what you're doing before you pick and eat wild mushrooms. They can really mess you up...

Just a word of caution.  ;)

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2005, 05:27 PM »
I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD ANSWER ME THIS. I WAS TOLD IF THE UNDERSIDE OF A MUSHROOM WAS BLACK WHEN PICK, IT WAS POISONOUS. AND ALL OTHERS ARE EDIBLE TO EAT. IS THERE ANY TRUTH TOO THIS?

As someone that picks wild mushrooms I would not go by that advice.  :sick: :sick: :sick:
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

hunter13

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2005, 08:06 PM »
my freind that picks mushrooms  says they only grow by oaks  i dont plan on picking them just wanted to look around my hunting woods to see if i find any so i can take my freind back and show him but if they grow in other spots  besides oaks then that info would be nice

hunter13

Smokenmirrors

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2013, 05:37 AM »
There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters... But there are no old bold mushroom hunters.
I would exercise extreme caution as there are many look a like shrooms that can make you deathly ill. There is no sick like mushroom sick...
I suggest trying your local mycology club or finding an I. The know local.
They are beautiful and I've enjoyed many great meals with wild mushrooms
Good hunting.
Regards/ Smoke
The  Boy who cried Bass...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2015, 01:57 PM »
The bottom being black is completely false. COMPLETELY ! For example - black trumpets are all black and they are one of the most highly prized edible wild mushroom. Most of the time -  any mushroom that bruises blue is trouble.

Grizz - you are correct. 99% of mushroom hunters will not tell you where they are and this is because it takes years and many miles on foot to find some of these TINY patches that are there and then gone.

As far as Hens - they grow on or around Oaks and Maples.

Side note - if you find a chicken mushroom on a conifer - it can cause stomach upset. I would recommend to stay away from these.

Wicked Wec

TrentBill

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:10 AM »
The bottom being black is completely false. COMPLETELY ! For example - black trumpets are all black and they are one of the most highly prized edible wild mushroom. Most of the time -  any mushroom that bruises blue is trouble.

Grizz - you are correct. 99% of mushroom hunters will not tell you where they are and this is because it takes years and many miles on foot to find some of these TINY patches that are there and then gone.

As far as Hens - they grow on or around Oaks and Maples.

Side note - if you find a chicken mushroom on a conifer - it can cause stomach upset. I would recommend to stay away from these.

Well, that clears things up. :)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Old post but mushroom season is around the corner. If you guys want to post some pics on here and follow up with a PM I can help identify what you have found. My parents are from Poland where wild mushrooms are part of a daily diet and very popular around the holidays when meat is not eaten. Its in my blood a d was passed down to me at an early age. Now I pick about 30 edibles here in new england so they are around. Weather, timing and location is the name of the game. The truth is " when in doubt, throw it out".good luck hunting!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.